PDA

View Full Version : GS Maroon Tips

Anemone
11/06/2001, 12:36 PM
This is the first spawning of this pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns. They've been together over a year, ever since the female of a breeding pair died (she became egg-bound). I paired the male with a new partner, and he is now a she (and a proud mommy).

Haven't raised any fry yet (didn't have an extra tank last time around). But now I have a little Eclipse 6 set up (for an attempt at raising Bangaii fry), so maybe I'll be lucky enough to be around when the eggs hatch, and can save a few fry before they become fish (and anemone) food.

Any hints/keys to success?

Thanks!

Kevin

FMarini
11/06/2001, 12:46 PM
kevin:
I do have 2 major hints.
1)-buy joyce wilkersons book "breeding clownfish". it has step-by-step how-to instructions. A great book
2)- learn how to culture rotifers.
You'll ned to feed rotifers for the first week then switch over to baby brine, then onto prepared foods.
So rotifers are the starting food
inlandaquatics.com sells a nice rotifer starting kit and you can buy a ton of rotifers from them
great photo and good luck
frank

Anemone
11/06/2001, 01:00 PM
Frank,

Thanks for the tips. I already have Joyce's book, and was afraid you'd say something about learning how to culture rotifers....I had hoped that wouldn't become neccesary.....

Oh well,

Kevin

percula
11/07/2001, 08:07 PM
You dont have to sulture rotifers... just get alot more fry through alot quicker.... - perc (both ways are a pain...)

suckair
11/15/2001, 10:50 PM
I also have a pair of maroons.. I have running rotifer cultures and am ready to go. My maroons have not spawned yet but are a obvious pair.

I was thinking about mixing up my pair to attempt to get them spawning. Any suggestions?

Randall

PS I have a spawning pair of tomato clowns but would really like to culture maroons.

Anemone
11/16/2001, 12:55 AM
Well, it's 10 pm on day 10, and the eggs are beginning to hatch. I've already got a few larvae in a pitcher. I'll see how many I can get without staying up too late <yawn>. I'm thinking this will be more of a trial run, with very low expectations of any of the larvae making it (hey, I don't have any rotifers, so I'm going to try a few different sizes of BSD Golden Pearls).

Wish me luck, and I hope I don't have to sleepwalk through work tomorrow.

Kevin

marieK
11/16/2001, 07:53 AM
My daughter actually raised some larvae on golden pearls rotifers while I was gone on a vacation. She did not fully understand how to take care of the rotifers while I was gone and just tried the golden pearls on just a hope. Surprisingly she had 4 juveniles make it(of course that was from a hatch of hundreds) Not a great survival ratio but I was surprised.

Anemone
11/16/2001, 10:04 AM
Thanks Marie, that's good to know. I'm not doing this to make money, so having a high survival rate to grow out and sell isn't an issue - and since I already have the BSD golden pearls rotifer size.....

One weird thing - When I first noticed that the eggs had begun hatching (about two hours after lights out), I managed to catch three fry. I waited another hour, but couldn't see any more, so I went to bed. I got up 6 hours later, and only found 1 more baby to catch. At least 1/2 the eggs are still there, little silver-black eyes and all. Has anyone else experienced multi-day hatchings?

Had to go to work, so I hope I still have eggs to hatch tonight when I get home......

Kevin

marieK
11/16/2001, 06:19 PM
I have found the eggs do hatch usually a few the first night and then the most the second night with a few stragglers the 3rd night. I usually do not try to catch the 3rd night at all- not worth it. Make sure you turn off all of your pumps and jets (just remember to turn them back on). Mine hatches about 30 min to 1 hr after lights out and room is completely dark. I catch with a flashlight and 2 white bowls. My husband catches and I relay it to a tank. We usually catch off and on over about 2 hrs. You know if you are using the golden pearls keep a close eye on ammonia levels- it can muck the tank up quickly- try feeding at least 3 times a day. At about 1 week -metamorphosis time change over to golden pearls artemia and rotifers or decapsulated brine. I usually only do the decapsulated brine shrimp for about a week or so and then start training to the golden pearls artemia and crushed formula one dry food. Good luck!

Anemone
11/16/2001, 09:24 PM
Got home from work and it only looks like I have about 20-30 of the "old" eggs left. I have to say old eggs, cause the clowns spawned again all around and amongst them. I guess my clowns are impatient to become parents.

Has anyone else had a clown pair start a new brood before the earlier brood had completely hatched?

Kevin

marieK
11/17/2001, 07:36 AM
Yes, I've had that happen- usually they spawn 12-14 days apart.