PDA

View Full Version : Southdown Sand (again!)

MayerKT
11/05/2001, 06:44 PM
Hello All

We are in the process of putting together an order for two pallets of Southdown sand.........so if you need any now or in the next year or so, post here so we can determine if there is enough interest!

Thanks a Bunch!

SeaMatt Nematocyt
11/06/2001, 11:57 AM
Oh yeah!

Talked to Jerry at the meeting and I am interested. I will need enough for a 300+ gallon tank. Keep this post going until Jerry gets enough interest.

-Matt

tkelsey
11/06/2001, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know how many bags of sand come on a pallet? Jerry?

Karin and I were talking and figured we are going to need at least 10 bags ourselves. So we are well on our way with what Matt is going to need.

If you know how many bags, let us know.

:beer:

Melinda
11/06/2001, 07:05 PM
I would like 2 bags.

Thanks,
Melinda

Jerry Gonzales
11/07/2001, 08:41 AM
Hi,
Their is 56 bags per pallet, If we needed more we could get more. But 2 pellets is the minimum. I went to go talk to Bob at HD and he no longer works there.:( . So I will talk with the other gentelman that worked with him tonight.

SeaMatt Nematocyt
11/08/2001, 10:45 AM
Jerry,
How much do these bags weigh?

-Matt

tkelsey
11/08/2001, 10:54 AM
Each bag is 50 lbs.

We set up our 46 bow with sand last month and it took 100 lbs to get 4.25 inches of sand. I figure for a 4" base you need 2 lbs of sand per gallon. I might be wrong, and I thought there was a calculator out there somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

HTH,
Troy

FishGeeek
11/08/2001, 01:38 PM
Here ya go. Sand bed calculator.

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.htm

I would take 2 bags.

Brian

SeaMatt Nematocyt
11/08/2001, 07:57 PM
Nice little tool you got there Brian.

Looks like for just a 3" base and additional sand for my other tank, I need about 495 - 500lbs

-Matt

tkelsey
11/09/2001, 10:03 AM
I am keeping a spreadsheet and we're at 24 BAGS of sand. Looks like we might be able to order by next meeting if things continue this way.

Troy

:D

CJK
11/09/2001, 08:59 PM
I would like to get about 4 or 5 bags

Thanks
Chris K:D

wanecek
11/10/2001, 03:15 AM
Hi there,

I am not a member of the club but I am going to be buying a 300 gal soon and would like to buy 12 bags of sand if it is okay with everyone. Let me know.

Thanks,

Michael Wanecek
mwanecek@yahoo.com

MayerKT
11/14/2001, 06:12 PM
Sounds good to me....the more the merrier, eh?

Anyone else interested???

MayerKT
11/15/2001, 06:56 PM
hey jerry

how much was the per bag price last time you co-ordinated this?

just curious.....

theanemoneman
11/15/2001, 07:06 PM
I would take two or three bags. I live in Ft. Collins and would drive to Denver to pick it up. How much?

Mark

MayerKT
11/15/2001, 07:38 PM
Hi Anenome Man :)

I actually go back and forth between denver and Ft. Collins on a regular basis, and have a truck, so I'd be more than happy to bring some up to you......as soon as we get the order taken care of.........

theanemoneman
11/15/2001, 08:35 PM
Thanks a lot. Very appreciated.

BigFish
11/16/2001, 01:29 PM
Hey Jerry,

I'm interested in 5 or 6 bags (if the price is right ;-) )

Let me know,
Thanks!
Greg

Jerry Gonzales
11/18/2001, 10:02 AM
Hi Everyone,
The sand is $3.84 + tax. Not including phone charges, transport etc. That will probaly be up to Karen and Troy. Karen if you can give me a call about maybe going through the HD by your house. Since I am going to be moving. My phone # 303-937-7459 At least till the end of the month.:(

SeaMatt Nematocyt
11/19/2001, 02:17 PM
I take it that is per pound ehh?

-Matt

BigFish
11/19/2001, 04:18 PM
No, that should be a cost per bag.... That is the beauty of SD, it doesn't cost much. If your in the right location, it only costs $2 or $3 per bag.

BNesti
11/20/2001, 01:32 PM
Jerry/Karin/Troy,

Put me on the list for 5 bags.

Thanks.

Bryan

tkelsey
11/20/2001, 02:05 PM
Well it looks like one pallet is gone!

:bounce3: :dance: :bounce3:

We are going to get with Jerry to get this stuff ordered. Not sure how long it took to get the first batch, but hopefully we will have it before next year!

We still will have 56 bags left over, so let us know if you want more. Also, tell anyone else you know about it too.

Thanks,
Karin and Troy

ps. Jerry, expect a call ssssooon!

wanecek
11/20/2001, 05:21 PM
Karin and Troy,

Do you want the $ before or after it comes in? Let me know if you need any help. I have a Blazer and I could deliver some to anyone on the north side of Denver.

Thanks,

Michael Wanecek
mwanecek@yahoo.com

MayerKT
11/21/2001, 12:11 PM
Hmmm....good question. I suppose if you want to pay in advance that would be cool. Just bring it to the next meeting or send it in the mail or whatever. We'll have a spreadsheet made up (I think Troy already has one) and mark Name, # of Bags, $$, Paid or not paid.

I guess without knowing the details we can estimate around $5 per bag, if you interested in pre-paying.

Thanks for all the interest! We're so excited to get this stuff in.

P.S. Jerry, I tried calling, but line was busy. I'll try again tonight.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

snobordr
11/21/2001, 06:15 PM
I'm interested in 3 bags of the stuff. I'll keep an eye out for when the stuff gets ordered and who to pay.

SeaMatt Nematocyt
11/21/2001, 06:24 PM
Dial me up 12 bags please.
Tonight or Friday, I am ordering my tank

-Matt

tkelsey
11/26/2001, 10:32 AM
Sand is on the way!!!

I ordered the sand this weekend and it will be coming to Colorado on Wednesday. Should be here beginning of next week and at our house by middle of that week.

It is going to be $7.50 a bag.

Hope to see you all Sunday,
Karin & Troy

dontyoujustwish
11/28/2001, 01:41 PM
If there are any bags still left I would be intrested in picking up 5 - 10

MayerKT
11/28/2001, 07:15 PM
yup! we still have plenty left, so we'll put you down. We'll let you know when it gets here!

Karin

Jerry Gonzales
11/29/2001, 12:22 AM
Hey Troy,Karin.
You two are coming close up on my # of people looking on posts on the sand.:eek2: I didn't think anyone would get up that far. You Know 395 is a lot of hits. STAY AWAY:uzi: Just Kiddin. Or maybe I'm not:rolleye1: See Ya Sunday
Jerry

Tagareef
11/29/2001, 02:56 AM
Hello, Please put me down for five bags!
Thanks, Luis

tkelsey
11/30/2001, 02:51 PM
UPDATE

I have talked with the delivery people today, and the sand is on the way. Should be in Denver anytime. I will be getting a call when it comes in and I will let everyone know ASAP.

Get your trucks cleaned out and ready, it should be available next week!

Troy

ps. Jerry, I'm getting oughly close... (365 views)

MayerKT
12/07/2001, 05:20 PM
Went to home depot on wednesday and the sand was still in JERSEY!! :mad2: $#@*!&@ :mad2:

the guy in recieving troy talked to said they were putting it on a truck that night and were rushing it out here. hopefully it will be in this weekend and delivered to our house next week.

that's the update for now.....stay tuned for more info

ericb
12/07/2001, 09:52 PM
Hey Jerry,

I'll take 2 bags. Thanks

tkelsey
12/11/2001, 11:42 AM
Well I finally got high enough up in the chain to find someone capable of doing there job. :hammer: I'm now in contact with the manager of the building department, which is where the sand is going. :twitch: He talked to Jersey and the sand is on the way.

Should be here Thursday and delivered to our house this weekend. :thumbsup:

We'll let everyone know the second it is at our house!!!!

wanecek
12/11/2001, 12:01 PM
Cool!

Thanks for doing all this extra work. Whenever I get my aquarium set up I will owe you some free frags.

Mike

Magna Shrimp
12/16/2001, 08:53 PM
Dear MayerKT,
I am greatly interested in your idea to order some SouthDown Tropical Play Sand! If possible I would like 4 bags! Thanks a lot!

MayerKT
12/17/2001, 10:30 AM
Hello All

Yet another update :furious: We went to HD this weekend, called and talked to the guy in Jersey who shipped it........he said it shipped last Tuesday (FOR SURE! he said he put it on the truck himself.....i'll believe it when it gets here :mad2: ), which means it should be here this week (hopefully on Tuesday)

If it's not, well, we'll give another update and try to not go to home depot and smush a large rubber mallet over thier heads.

For all those who paid at the last meeting, we have not cashed the checks yet, and will not do so until the sand is safely in our garage.

That's all for now. We'll keep you posted!

Shrimp - we got your order!

SeaMatt Nematocyt
12/17/2001, 09:24 PM
Priced for Christmas shoppers!
Rubber Mallets are on sale with a bonus offer of 2 thumps to the dome! :blown:

Matt

Jerry Gonzales
12/18/2001, 08:12 AM
Hi Karin,
Make sure he shipped it to the right HD #. When I got the last pellets in . I think I told you how they sent it to Co. Springs on mistake. You might also call recieving at all the other HD's around here. I went through the same stuff:) Jerry

MayerKT
12/18/2001, 10:42 AM
Hee Hee :D Yeah, we already mentioned that. If it's not in today, then we're going to have the guy call around to see if it's at any other stores. Hopefully it won't be in Colorado Springs!

Thanks for the tip though :)

Reefs_Rock
12/18/2001, 03:18 PM
Jerry, or Karin or whoever knows

I've been reading with great interest about Southdown sand from HD, both on this BB and another.

Went to my local HD and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Can I get the name, phone # of the guy in Jersey that you ordered it from?

I'd greatly appreciate the info.

tkelsey
12/20/2001, 05:47 PM
:fish1: :celeb1: :lol2: :wave: :dance: :bounce3: :bounce1: :bounce2: :wave: :lol2: :celeb1: :fish1:

THE SAND IS HERE!!!

It is being delivered as I type, and will be ready for pick-up tonight.

Here is our information:

Karin & Troy Kelsey
2659 S. Moore Dr. Unit C
Lakewood, CO 80227
(303) 935-2165

Give us a call and set up a time to pick it up.

$7.50/bag is the going price!

triangleman26
12/21/2001, 02:44 AM
hi I'm not in the club but, was wondering if you has any bags left if so I will need 8 bags.
please let me know thanks.
if you have some I will call you

tkelsey
12/21/2001, 10:07 AM
At this point we have about 2 1/2 pallets left. I am going to go to the LFS's after the first of the year and sell what is left.

By the way, we just wanted to let everyone know that we are leaving for the holidays on Sunday Dec. 23 and we will not be back until next year :)

If you want your sand before then, you will have to get it tonight or tomorrow.

Troy & Karin

wanecek
12/21/2001, 12:54 PM
Karin or Troy,

Unfortunately, I am new to the club and I am not sure where your place is located. Could you e-mail me directions so I can pick up the sand tonight?

I am coming from Broomfield. I will probably be coming from I-76 and Federal. If you have an easier way to get down let me know. Could you also let me know what time is best for you when I can pick up the sand tonight?

My e-mail address mwanecek@yahoo.com or you can let me know when the best time we can get a hold of you on the phone. So far I have been unsuccessful.

Thanks,

Mike

MayerKT
12/21/2001, 02:46 PM
Mike, you have mail :)

Everyone else, if you pre-ordered :) when you call please make sure to tell us your real name and your board name....we have a little spreadsheet made, but most of the listings are only with board names. Just so we don't get confused.

Some of you Ft. Collins and Longmont folks, if you can make it down here soon to pick them up, that would be the best situation. But if you really really REALLY can't, then hopefully we can get a few volunteers to help bring some bags up to John's for the Jan 6 meeting. My little S-10 probably can only hold about 15 bags before it's little leaf springs go flat!

Call now while their hot!

MayerKT
12/21/2001, 04:35 PM
Oh yeah,

Don't forget to purchase your Handy-Dandy Southdown Tropical Playsand for your refugiums too! Works great and looks even better.......Don't waste any time! If you're considering upgrading in the next 100 years, stockpile it now! We'll never know when this elusive cost effective sand will be within our reach again!

BUT WAIT! If you call now I'll throw in free your very own Husband! He cooks, he cleans, he.........well, scratch that, he doesn't clean, but he's really cute :D

Gosh, I'm beginning to sound like a salesperson. Spooky. If I do that again, someone shoot me :uzi::hmm5:

SeaMatt Nematocyt
12/23/2001, 06:25 AM
Karin and Troy.
I will have to wait until you get back to pick the sand up.
I ordered 12 bags and paid you $90 already. I may get more if there is extra.
This is Matt Mauritz.
Oh, and I can bring as many bags to the next meeting as needed.

Have a great holiday and thanks again for putting this together.

Matt

scchase
12/26/2001, 07:55 PM
Well I jsut got another tank and could use a bag of it. IF its allright Id like to pick it up at the JAn6th meeting if you can fit a bag in for me.
Scott

MayerKT
12/31/2001, 04:23 PM
No problemo scott!

Everyone, we're home from our Michigan Vacation (snow snow everywhere!) so if you'd like to pick up your sand, just give us a call. Again, the number is

303-935-2165

Also, if you'd like to recieve your sand at the Longmont meeting Saturday, please call us, like, today or tomorrow so we can arrange transportation. It looks like we have enough volunteers to transport about 50 bags or so (Thanks ericb and matt.....we'll probably be using you!)

That's all for now!

Thanks!

Magna Shrimp
12/31/2001, 05:47 PM
Is anyone who is going to the meeting live in Colorado Springs? Or is anyone who has extra sand going to be making a trip to Colorado Springs? If so please let me know because I am only 15 and well....can't drive myself upstate! THANKS!

Jerry Gonzales
01/04/2002, 12:02 AM
Hi Karin /Troy,
If you need some more help let me know. Also I give me a call at home on Friday nite. If you have bags left I know a store that wants 20 bags or so.
Jerry:wave:

tkelsey
01/07/2002, 03:35 PM
There is only a little sand left!!!

Today is the last day that the sand will be sold at the reef club price. Let us know if you want any before the rate hike.

The new price will be $15.00/bag.

Let us know.
Karin & Troy

Those who have already ordered will not be affected. ;)

CastleRock
01/14/2002, 08:57 PM
Hi In new here and new to the Club. but looks like Im late on getting any sand:( well heck guess I go in search of

Doug