PDA

View Full Version : Salinity High - How long?

clownman
11/05/2001, 10:05 AM
Ok, I've done something very stupid. Last night, I did a 10% water change on my 37 Gallon (50 lbs LiveRock (mix) 60 lbs livesand(mix), Long Tenticle Anemone, True Percula, Scopas Tang, two Camel Shrimp, 1 Emerald Crab and bunch of Hermit and Tarbo Snails).

When I did water change, I measured both water to be 1.024. Then I broke my Salt Measurement kit :eek:

This morning, I bought another one and tested my water and Salinity is 1.030+ (bar all the way in the top). All the resident looking just fine. Clown is moving around as usual, Tang is picking on algie, snails are doing there stuff, and hermits and shrimps....Anemone look nice :confused: :confused:

I went to LFS and exchanged my (forgot the name) but Salinity Test Kit, and this one measure the same thing!! No RO/DI water ready at the moment. I was almost an hour and half late for work, so had to leave:eek2: :mad:

I will be going home around 4:30PM which is almost 6-7 hours away. How much damange will I be making?

I promise, I did not notice any sign of stress at all.

:smokin:

Carlos
11/05/2001, 10:38 AM
Your tank should be fine. It seems that the change in salinity has been going on for a while or otherwise, you would have lost your snails and shrimps. (They are very sensitive to sudden salinity changes).

Did you calibrate your previous hydrometer? It could have been a bad one and you could have been running SG of 1.030 for a long time already.

Anyway, I would make sure to calibrate the new hydrometer (better if you do it agains a refractometer) to make sure what the SG is and then take action. Whatever you do, whether you have to raise it or lower it, do it slow!

HTH,

Carlos

clownman
11/05/2001, 11:46 AM
Yes, I had high and low situation before, but Scopas Tang is very new. But he looks very happy as he swimming, eating algie, hiding in the cave... (already found various new hiding places and entry/out area that I didn't even realize. I hope they are hardy.

I did not see anything to adjust for the hydrometer. So, not sure how I would calibrate it.

Will let you know an update when I go home. I will take the salinity down slowly...

Regards

clownman
11/06/2001, 09:43 AM
Everybody is still happy...eating, browsing and all the normal stuff....

I pour more RO/DI water, and now Salinity is little lower level but in 1.028 (I will take it down to normal this evening ...around 1.024) - Doing it slowly as you suggested Carlos.

Demon
11/07/2001, 09:29 PM
clownman...
I think what Carlos meant by adjusting is check yours with a refractometer and compsensate with yours...If yours reads 1.024 and the refrac. reads 1.030. then just use yours to get the water reading 1.018 which would read 1.024 on the refract...Can you understand what I am talking about..

Also on bringing the salinity down slowly.....If you was at 1.030 and want to come down to 1.024.. IMO, I would take 2-3 days to bring the salinity down that much...Doing it all in one day could cause a shock to the animals...

HTH.
Ralph