PDA

View Full Version : confused & not sure

Freckles
11/05/2001, 06:31 AM
I am debating about lighting now. I am going to be ordering my LR within the next few weeks (after I pay my mortgage!) Are the Metal Halahide Spot Pendants beneficial on a 125? How many would I need? Marine Depot has one for sale: http://www.marinedepot.com/a_lt_mh_pls.asp?CartId=
Or would it be better to go with VHO? I am thinking of doing corals, but really am not sure yet.... Right now I only have a singleCoralife 50/50 bulb. Will the LR even survive with this type of lighting?

I see LFS have different types of lighting.... the VHO's, and then the MH Spot Pendants.....

Q-ball
11/05/2001, 08:36 AM
Hehe...well, you've certainly opened a can of worms haven't you!;) j/k...you'll find that lighting is a very widely opinionated subject in this hobby. Me personally, I like a mix of MH & VHO. Is your 125g a 6' tank? If so, most people will agree that you'd need 3 MH's over that tank for the light to be distributed properly. I know the HQI's are supposed to be brighter, but I'm still not sure if 3x150w HQI's would be enough. Why not start with an Icecap660 ballast with 3 72" bulbs? For one thing, it'll generate quite a bit less heat. It'd be quite a bit cheaper, and you can always supplement VHO's with MH if you feel it's not enough light (there are some that will tell you there's no such thing as "enough light") I think you'll find that 3x140w VHO tubes with 2-3 250w MH's would light the tank very nicely.
HTH

Q!!!

Fishwife
11/05/2001, 01:03 PM
I agree with Q. Go with the VHOs right now and if you do decide to start with corals you can always add some MHs. I wouldn't go with the spot pendants if you are talking about the bell shaped shells. Go with pendants that hold the lamp horizonatally instead of vertically for better coverage. Or better yet, you might make it easier on yourself by building (or having built) a simple light box. Make it high enough to allow you to house halides in the future (10" high at least), stick your VHOs in there with enough room down the center for halides and you have an upgradeable hood ready for more intense lighting whenever you decide you need it. There are lots of plans in the DIY forum. It's easy, believe me. If Fishhub and I could build a 7 foot one, anybody can do it.

Laurie

Freckles
11/05/2001, 10:36 PM
Thanks, Q-Ball & Fishwife! ;) I think I will go with the IceCap for now. I have learned that there are so many different options for saltwater. Very expensive habit to support in the initial setup, too! :bum:

Q-ball
11/06/2001, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Freckles
Very expensive habit to support in the initial setup, too! :bum:

Hehe, you think it's gonna get cheaper after setup? Muahahahahahaha!!! the hobby's got you now and you'll never get out!!!:jester: I dunno if it gets any cheaper, but it sure doesn't get boring either!:D

Q!!!