PDA

View Full Version : adjusting prizm skimmers

workingman
11/04/2001, 09:16 PM
I just picked up a used prizm skimmer. It sets on the back of my tank so I can't see it to well. Can anyone tell me how to adjust it. I am not sure what I should be looking for. I see fine bubbles coming up but don't know how far up they should come. If I open the valve too far it fills up the cup.

mr9iron
11/04/2001, 10:30 PM
Workingman, adjust the level untill it comes to the bottom of the riser tube. These little skimmers are a bit tricky untill you get it fine tuned, but they produce great results.IMHO

workingman
11/04/2001, 10:57 PM
mr9iron,
thanks that is what I needed to know

Freckles
11/05/2001, 05:46 AM
Ok, now I have a questions, too :eek:
I have one on my 125 ( now, don't give me crap..... I am seeing how I like this skimmer & if it will work more, and if I like it, I will buy another one, and if not, I will go with the Berlin Turbo.)
I have mine tuned so there are no bubbles being pushed into the tank.... Do I have mine tuned ok? I have the nozzle turned so it is horizontal. I can see the foam in the one part of the skimmer. (the cup???) So far, I have to admit, I am really satisfied with it.... Skims very nicely, and is extra quiet.

just_let_me_reef
11/05/2001, 09:08 AM
i run mine with the air turned down real low, so i get very fine bubbles. everyday my cup is filled up. i bought it on sale last week. it is very easy to turn the prizm up to high, and just foam up the cup!

Scholesy
11/05/2001, 03:41 PM
Are these the skimmers that are very slim (about 2.5"), blu-ish coloured plastic; with a sort of a cross-marking diagonally across them?

If so; you guys like them / they pull a lot of gunk?

Rovert
11/06/2001, 08:28 AM
workingman, ditto 9iron's reply, these units can be a bit tricky to adjust, but once you get a feel for it, they're great. Make only the smallest adjustments at a time. I found it's as easy to listen for the change by the pitch of the sound the unit makes, as it is to do it visually.

Freckles, don't adjust by the bubbles that might or might not get into the tank. Go by what's in the riser tube of your collection cup. Having a few bubbles, or a bit of fine mist in the tank, isn't the end of the world, and usually goes away, but every now and again will reappear, depending on water condition, or if you fed. You want the maximum amount of foam in the unit without casing overflow into the collection cup. Takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll get there.

Scholsey, yes, that's the ticket. They're made by Red Sea. I find them to be very effective. I was skeptical at first, because when I got mine they were relatively new on the market, but I liked it so much, I now have two, one on my 'Q' tank, one on my 55FO.

mr9iron
11/07/2001, 08:01 PM
Scholesy, I love my prizm and would recommend it to anyone who has a smaller tank.:D

Scholesy
11/07/2001, 08:02 PM
They *do* look pretty good, and as a bonus (lol) if they skim good that's ok with me! Are they difficult to clean?

mr9iron
11/07/2001, 08:08 PM
Nope their a cinch to clean. Everything comes apart real easily and a bottle brush does wonders.;)

Scholesy
11/07/2001, 08:19 PM
One more thing - are they pretty quiet or a bit noisy?

Freckles
11/07/2001, 08:21 PM
Mine is really quiet. The only time it's noisey is if you have the valve turned up to where all the bubbles are pushed out into the tank.

Scholesy
11/07/2001, 08:29 PM
great; thx for the info everyone :)