PDA

View Full Version : Canary Wrasse

robitreef
11/04/2001, 01:48 PM
I was curious if a canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus), would be compatable with a six line wrasse and an ocellaris clown in a 15 gallon reef tank? Anyone have experience with this combination?

hcs3
11/05/2001, 12:11 AM
robitreef

[welcome]

a Halichoeres chrysus is a peaceful wrasse. they can be housed in smaller aquariums (though i think yours might be too small) with less aggressvie species. unfortunitely, this also opens it up to be pestered by more dominant species, namely your Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (6 line). they can be aggressive to other less aggressvie wrasse species. in a larger tank it probably wouldn't be much of a problem, but your small one most likely would cause problems.

HTH

henry

robitreef
11/05/2001, 08:57 PM
Thank you for the info. I was looking for a yellow fish that would fit in this 15 gal. I had just lost my Midas Blenny the day before of undisclosed causes, though I had noticed that my green serpent star seemed a little fat. I know the blenny could hold his own, especially against the clown. Would a diadema dottyback be too aggressive? Someone told me that if it was the last fish added it would be okay. I am skeptical.
What could be another yellow fish that might fit into the Indo-pacific shallow lagoon-fringing reef habitat.

Jeff B
11/06/2001, 01:28 PM
robitreef,

I would avoid the dottyback. The diadema is known to be one of the more pugnacious and would probably encounter some problems with your 6-line wrasse.

I would suggest looking at a couple of gobies. The yellow watchman is peaceful and I believe compatable with your current tank occupants. Another goby to look at is the yellow-striped goby (looks like the common neon goby except its stripe is golden/yellow). Although not an entirely yellow fish, its stripe glows under my VHO lighting. This fish is also very small and would not add much bioload. You could probably add a couple to your 15 gallon tank.

jeff

robitreef
11/06/2001, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the info. The only thing I have to worry about with my tank is that green serpent star, which I suspect ate the Midas Blenny. I know where my six line an clown sleep at night, so I might just have to hold off on things as I like my green serpent. Has anyone else had experiences of missing fish with these echinoderms?

garbled
11/10/2001, 06:51 PM
I own a diadema pseudochromis. The best word to describe him is psychotic. He is very aggressive and territorial. Luckily, he is one of only 4 fish in a 125 gallon aquarium, otherwise I imagine he would truly be a terror. When given lots of space, they calm down and will break off an assault before actually making contact. I believe if he was cramped, or the target had nowhere to run, the results would be greusome.

I highly suggest them for large tanks. They are wonderful. Not for small tanks. Not unless alone. (no shrimps either, mine harrasses mine, but never kills. Again, I attribute this to the open space he has)

hcs3
11/18/2001, 11:33 PM
hey robit

green brittles are known fish eaters. there was a lengthy thread on the main discussion forum regarding this. i suggest you do a search and find it.

HTH

henry

dc
11/20/2001, 11:38 AM
I have a little Yellow Clown Goby that is really awesome. He is quite small compared to my other fish, yet he swims boldly with them. Even my 4" GB Maroon doesn't bother him. He perches on corals during the day.