PDA

View Full Version : Filtration and Current, and using shrimp pelletts for cycling

jordala
11/04/2001, 08:40 AM
I'm currently cycling a 45g FO with a 3" DSB, Whisper 3, and an AquaClear 402 PH. Is this enuf for filtration and current?

There are no fish yet, and I'm using shrimp pellets to cycle. My ammonia is 3ppm and nitrite is .85ppm. Is this enuf to cycle this tank?

Thanks for any info. I really want to start out right :rolleyes:

Randy V
11/04/2001, 08:48 AM
I'm not familiar with FO filtration and water movement depends somewhat on exactly what you're going to keep but it sounds like your cycle is going fine to me.

Skipper
11/04/2001, 10:39 AM
Sounds fine to me, too.

DgenR8
11/04/2001, 11:56 PM
Sounds to me like you are off to a good start. :D Just take your time, don't attempt to add livestock before the system finishes it's cycle.
From what I'm reading in your post, the only filtration you are using is a DSB. If you plan to add fish, you will have to seed that bed with critters. I would recommend kicking that off with some live rock, (1.5-2lbs per gallon) instead of buying critters, you get more filtration for your money that way.
The more animals you want to keep, the more live rock/sand you will need for filtration. Again, take your time. Every time you add an animal to your system, your bio load will increase. Add them slowly, one at a time, and with time in between so that your bio-filtration has a chance to "catch up" to the load.

wave_happy
11/05/2001, 12:59 PM
I agree with DgenR8 , but, if you intend to use a DSB as your primary source of filtration, you may want to concider adding to the depth of the sand bed (3 inches is just shy of being deep enough). Most DSBs are 4-6 inches deep or more!

Also, select your fish carefully. You may find that most fish can cause considerable damage to the population of benificial critters that you want to colonize your DSB.

HTH