PDA

View Full Version : BBS eater

India
11/03/2001, 10:22 PM
I like to raise baby seahorses in a small, preforated plastic tank within a larger established tank with live rock, etc...I like the stability of that larger system, but the small tank keeps the food column dense, and the immediate area easy to clean. My problem is that escaping bbs invariably fuel hydroid explosions in the rock. I would like a tankmate for the main tank that will eat up the escaping bbs. It would be ideal if this bbs eater would be compatable with adolescent horses, so they could be released in the tank as they grow...
I'd appreciate all ideas...
Thank you,
India

garbled
11/04/2001, 07:18 PM
Well.. just about any small fish would probably eat bbs, if it noticed them. Perhaps firefish?

Another possibility, depending on water currents, would be a gorgonian, or other corals that might filter live food out of the water. Basically you would want something with mouths large enough to eat bbs, but small enough not to eat sea horses. I suggest gorgonians, because I have had excellent luck with the photosynthetic ones, and they would be great hitching posts too.