PDA

View Full Version : Some pics of pappy's tank

LowCel
09/29/2004, 06:57 AM
Here are some pics of pappygonefishin2002's tank. Pappy....the tank looks great but where is the full tank shot????

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/pappyp1.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/pappyp2.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/pappyp3.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/pappyp5.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/pappyp6.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/pappyp7.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/pappyp8.jpg

hmott
09/29/2004, 11:03 AM
nice looking tank, I love that red macro in pic #3

pappygonefishin2002
09/30/2004, 05:17 AM
These are pictures of my frag tank, My favorite fish is in pic 4 his eyes turn blue, pink, or green depending on his mood. He is one cool little fish.

Thanks for posting Bruce

pappygonefishin2002
09/30/2004, 05:27 AM
Im tearing down the 55 gallon tank so I didnt take any pictures of it. It doesnt look very good right now! Unlike most people Im going to a smaller tank, going to adjust my tank to fit my pc lighting maybe Ill be able to add a few sps then.

LowCel
09/30/2004, 06:12 AM
No problem on posting the pictures

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan pappy. Once you have the tank up and running let me know if you would like to try a couple of digitata frags to see how your lighting is going to do. I'll be happy to make a donation to the pappy sps research center. :D

MattG
09/30/2004, 12:05 PM
be carefull cliff about getting frags from bruce. If they brown out or dont look 100% he will 'claim' they just arent happy in your tank :rolleyes:

that blue eyed fish looks really cool. What kind of fish is he? Do you have any full shots of him? I dont remember seeing him when i was over there.

firefish2020
09/30/2004, 12:06 PM
Sweet frag tank, I got a few softies to donate to your cause as well. By the way I will be ordering my new light next week!!!! It's all coming together now :)

pappygonefishin2002
09/30/2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks everybody it feels like Christmas..LOL The fish im not sure exactly what he is I think hes a barnacle blenny, Ill have to check with Ron to be sure. Have to have a high speed camera to catch him out all the way hes just a flash when I feed him, hes kinda like an Octopus seen his back blue, white,and brown, he does have small teeth but never bothers anything but the larger rubble. Still dont have a camera, thats sad
Bruce the research center is always open but we are no longer doing any research on brown frags!!!!!!!! thanks Matt lol
Ron, thanks for the softies cant wait, I should have you a frag of my rare softie if you want a piece of it after finally getting it started on a new rock it has outgrown the mother colony go figure. One for you and one for trade!
265 watt power compact light on a 12" deep tank should support most any sps coral ..............(True or False) Happy Frags

firefish2020
09/30/2004, 08:30 PM
Not "any sps" but it will suport most sps. Think of lighting like this; PCs put out 3-5 times more luminance than a regular strip light. Thats a lot of light but concider that a MH puts out 3-5 times more power than a PC. In theory 265 watts PC on a 12 inch tank will have enough radiance to induce a propper PAR value in most sps but this will also depend on the strain of sps you have. I believe that ORA sps corals are far superior than any other strains out there comercially right now and for that reason I would only try those frags in your system.

We tried the PC lighting speculation for months, after many hours of running the numbers and scratching our heads my wife and I both came to one conclusion. If we were going to keep sps that were going to really thrive we had to get MH lighting. But you have to remember we were looking at putting well over 595 watts of PC on our tank. After we learned that MH put out at least 2 times the amount of lighting as PC for the same power cost wise we had no real choice but to go halide.

Best of luck though, I know 265 watts on a 12" tank is posible but dont expect bright color sps. SPS will only exhibit strong coloration based on the amount of radiance they recieve or need.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Curtis1
10/01/2004, 01:48 PM
Pappy, cool fish, looks like an alien !!! What size tank are you going to ??? What kind of lights are you going to set-up ??? I got 2 PC strip lights 48". One is a 55w the other a 65w. I was toying around with the idea of tearing them apart to combine with the MH's that I got from Matt, but decided to go with VHO's instead. I'd make you a good deal on them if you need 'em, Later, Curt.

pappygonefishin2002
10/02/2004, 07:39 AM
Curtis dont tear them apart yet , I need to talk to Ron 1st before I make a big mistake on my set up! Will talk to him today!
You dont have an extra skimmer do you, I need one for my frag tank! How much for the 65 watt?

Curtis1
10/02/2004, 08:40 AM
Well Pappy, It's a really nice metal Smartlite. Has an awesome reflector that you could cut to whatever length you need, they go for around $130 new w/lights, plus I just put new Coralife 50/50 Actinics from Bert's($85) in it, haven't been used a week maybe. For a really nice guy as yourself,,, you give me a $100 and I'll even throw in the other All-Glass 55w PC strip, they're both 48", that'd give you another 240w to work with,,, cheap !!! But seriously, If I were you, I'd go with the MH's. I started to do the same thing that you're doing, was even toying around with the idea of 8 x 110w VHO's and I'm glad that I went ahead and went w/the MH's. Don't worry, they're here if you want 'em, just let me know and I'll bring'em to the meeting. You know what I was gonna do ??? I was gonna order the reflector from Hellolights, have them just mount the Mogul sockets and clips for the PCs, then I was going to stagger the PC's on each side of the MH's, using the guts from them. Something to think about for you, later, Curt.

Curtis1
10/02/2004, 08:46 AM
Pappy, quick as I can get my new stand together and my new sump built, I'll have an extra Seaclone, if that'll work. How big a hurry you in ??? It may be a month or so ??? I'd let you have it for $30 ??? It works great now, but there is a DIY mod on the DIY page that I haven't tried that's suppose to make it more efficient !

pappygonefishin2002
10/02/2004, 11:30 AM
SOLD........... Thanks curtis , bring to next meeting!

Will you accept pennies

I can wait on the skimmer , what size is it I dont have a lot of room

Curtis1
10/02/2004, 09:56 PM
Pappy, It's 3.5"x 18" and rated for up to 100gal. Check out the mods for it on the DIY page, I'll let you decide if you want to do it or not. I'll try to get everything else done to get the skimmer for you. I still got alot to do though. I'll bring the lights. They're really nice, you may not want to cut'em up !!! I'll bring some pennie rolls if you'll roll'em ???

pappygonefishin2002
10/03/2004, 01:05 PM
OK Thanks Curtis It will fit nicely in my frag tank, just the right size! Not sure on my new set up yet but I want the lights anyway just bring them with you to the meeting.

Did I tell you about the fish I.....
Never mind
Thanks Clifford

LowCel
10/04/2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by MattG
be carefull cliff about getting frags from bruce. If they brown out or dont look 100% he will 'claim' they just arent happy in your tank :rolleyes:

http://www.aggressiveaquaria.com/forums/images/avatars/270763103411ecdf368f62.gif

odoprelude
10/07/2004, 06:01 PM
Cliff, what are you going to do with the 55 gallon?

pappygonefishin2002
10/07/2004, 07:05 PM
Im going to sell the 55 without the stand, will probably have some LR left over I will also be selling.

odoprelude
10/07/2004, 09:48 PM
How much do you want for the 55? I am thinking of doing an indiginous (sp?) species tank and that would be the perfect size...

pappygonefishin2002
10/08/2004, 06:24 PM
(Indiginous) Let me look that up

It will probably be a month or 2 before Ill be ready to get rid of it , but im sure we can work something out if you want it.