PDA

View Full Version : how do you frag colt corals

just_let_me_reef
11/03/2001, 09:25 PM
i looked back on some previous posts . and i wanted to know specifically, how do you frag colt corals? how long till they attach ? and how long till you see some growth? last when are they ready for trade?

just_let_me_reef
11/03/2001, 09:40 PM
hope this works

Doug
11/03/2001, 10:05 PM
Hi Just_let_me_reef,

I normally cut my colts with a sharp pair of scissors. I then attach them to a small piece of rubble with a loosely wound rubberband. I have also used the toothpick method, like you, with large pieces.

I have seen them attach to the rubble in as short of a time as three days and some up to two weeks. I have found that you have to give them enough current to keep them clean but not too much to blow them off the rubble.

As far as growth goes, it depends. I have had much faster growth under 2x250w MH bulbs than I had under my 4x110w VHO's. They did well under both but the growth was faster under the MH's.

Trading time depends upon who you are trading with. Some people would rather have smaller frags where as others would like larger pieces. I personally like smaller frags and enjoy watching them grow in my tanks.

HTH

Doug

Skipper
11/03/2001, 10:36 PM
Here (http://www.atlantisaquatic.com/colt.html) is Brian Conger's article on propagating Colt coral.