PDA

View Full Version : Baby Pipefish!

JennM
11/03/2001, 08:22 AM
Hi all!

Just when I thought I had a tiny break from baby reidi (lost the last of this batch this week, have a week before more are due, and preparing a better nursery system for them), I have baby pipefish!

Two weeks ago, in the Gulf of Mexico, we caught about 11 pipefish (Sygnathus scovelli I think). Most are brown, two are larger and almost black and one of them was distinctly male *g*. I jokingly wondered if he was pregnant. Well this morning I counted 10 babies that I can see, and I think there are more hidden in the caulerpa that's in their quarantine bucket.

Anybody have rearing info for these? I'm proceeding as if they were baby horses, with one exception. I'm leaving them in the q-bucket with the others. The bucket is in a sunny window, and the water is turning nice and green. I've been feeding the pipes brine from the growout tubs on my back step, who are growing in greenwater. I've offered mysis once, a few showed interest, so I'll try it again. The bucket has a sponge filter which I turn off during feeding and provides good turbulance on the surface, although these pipes don't seem too compelled to go to the surface (yet?).

Since I have no seahorse babies currently I had no brine hatching, but I've set a pot on to hatch...no rest for the wicked!

Any and all info gratefully invited.

Jenn

SeaNemesis
11/03/2001, 10:01 AM
You can raise the pipe fry the same way as you would seahorse fry. They are little pigs if you have not noticed. However they seem to be just as fragile, but hopefully you will be able to raise some to maturity. Good luck and enjoy. They are so cute.