PDA

View Full Version : October Meeting

manderx
09/24/2004, 10:18 AM
ok, so who wants to host the october meeting? if nobody else does, i can. right now my tank is in shambles from moving stuff from tank to tank to treat for the red bugs, but i'll have it back in shape shortly.

if we do it at my place, we can fire up the firepit and make a barbecue out of it.

mbort
09/24/2004, 12:18 PM
Matt's place sounds good to me. It would also be nice to do Matt's place before winter so we can do a barbeque.

dooleyb
09/24/2004, 12:40 PM
Matt's place has my vote.

HiddenClown
09/24/2004, 03:55 PM
my vote too, i'v never seen his house or tank

JNG567
09/24/2004, 04:06 PM
matt's it is

hokiefish
09/24/2004, 06:27 PM
Sounds good to me. I have a stereo microscope I can bring over as well (Trying not to sound too ultra nerdy). It is pretty cool to look at your corals/sand under this thing.

PS-matt answer your phone!!

nvert
09/24/2004, 10:26 PM
See you at Matt's. I want a microscope!

manderx
09/27/2004, 01:36 PM
a microscope would be *fantastic*.

i'll light up the grill and have at least hamburgers/hotdogs and some sort of chicken. what date works best for everyone- thursday the 14th in the evening, or sunday the 17th in the late afternoon?

nvert
09/27/2004, 02:30 PM
A fall bbque on a Sunday afternoon is awesome...especially if the weather is nice! Makes it easier to 'potluck' too.

mbort
09/27/2004, 02:40 PM
14th afternoon bad for me, 17th much better. Hopefully Lori can waddle over too:D Looking forward to it.

RUFISHY2
09/30/2004, 12:25 PM
hell or high water, I'll be there. 17th is better for me too, although I really shouldn't be allowed input, given I haven't actually attended any meetings.

rbattle
10/01/2004, 12:13 PM
I told you Matt. The sunday idea was a good one. Hope to see everybody there!

Rush

WILDTHING
10/01/2004, 09:28 PM
I vote for Sunday

Shivaji
10/02/2004, 12:24 PM
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday !!!

This time I am putting the date on my calendar so I do not miss it again, and I hope to bring some tandoori chicken kebabs for grilling ...

RUFISHY2
10/05/2004, 10:48 AM
ooh! I don't know what that is but it obviously has meat so...yum.

manderx
10/05/2004, 12:32 PM
it's the most fantastic stuff ever.

manderx
10/11/2004, 01:52 PM
OK, i've talked to a few people, and the overall consensus is to have the meeting at 3:00. you can either come straight to my place, or meet at Zooquatic where someone will be to lead a convoy/carpool to my place- leaving promptly at 3:05.

to get to my place, take Main Street to the center of Blacksburg. turn onto Roanoke Street away from campus (which is a right turn if you are coming from Christiansburg/Zooquatic). this will take you past a row of frat houses and then snake around a cemetary. as you go around the cemetary, you're technically turning on different streets (if you're paying close attention to the signs), but just follow the obvious main roadway, which ends up as Harding Avenue. this will climb up a hill, then past an apartment complex named Windsor Hills at the top. as you come down the backside of the hill, it will pass an auto shop named the Bug Shop, then through a near-hairpin curve. then the road will straigten out for 75 yards or so where Happy Hollow Road plunges to the left. the sign is turned so you can't read it till you're past it, but it's the first paved road after the Bug Shop. you might also be able to see the sign '815' on the right side of the road across from it if the weeds aren't grown over it (i don't think they are at the moment).

My house is 3047 Happy Hollow Road, which is at the bottom of the hill on the inside of the turn (on the left). there's a post with '3047' on it at the end of the driveway, leaning against a guard rail. i have a long gravel driveway you can parallel park along, or if you want to make sure you can get out early, park on either side at the end of the driveway in the grass (though try to leave a bit of a space for people to turn around in as they are leaving). if parking somehow fills up, or you just want to be special, you can continue on Happy Hollow past my driveway around the curve (and all still within clear view of my house) where there is a nice gravel spot to pull off on the left that's big enough for several cars. it's actually closer to my house than my driveway is, though you'll have to hop a small creek if you park there.

and if you haven't been to my house before, i'll warn you now that it's a dump. i bought a waterfall, and the shack came with it. it has some obvious problems that haven't been repaired because the plan is to build a new house up in the woods and tear this one down.

we'll have plenty of food on the grill and a crock-pot full of chili, so come hungry.

my phone number is 540-552-4439.

-matt

nvert
10/11/2004, 02:43 PM
AWESOME...I'll bring some gooey brownies....and some beer of course!

mbort
10/12/2004, 09:04 AM
I will be at Zooquatic to meet everyone who wants to follow me over to Matt's. I will park right in front of the doors and will be leaving the lot at 3:05, so please be there at 3 sharp if you want to follow me over. I can also pick one or two people up if needed .. please let me know in advance .. just pm or email mjbortner@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Mike

teddyruxpin
10/13/2004, 12:31 AM
Sunday the 17th at 3pm....looks like I finally get to make it to a meeting, hip-hip-hooray! Let me know what you need brought to the cookout.

hokiefish
10/13/2004, 11:06 AM
It looks like I will most likely be bringing a microscope to the meeting on sunday. We should be able to look at most of the microflaura living in our sand. If you want to see what is swimming around in there bring some sand so we can make a slide out of it. Last time I looked at my sediment I found some science fiction looking creatures and thought it was pretty nifty.

WILDTHING
10/13/2004, 11:14 AM
cool, I can't wait!

JNG567
10/17/2004, 11:49 AM
today is the day

WILDTHING
10/17/2004, 12:24 PM
I'm so bummed, Boris, my husband is sick today. I won't be able to make it.

I know everyone will have a great time, wish I was there.

colleen

mbort
10/18/2004, 07:13 AM
Matt .. great meeting! Thanks for having us all over, and of course for all of the food and drinks.

dooleyb
10/18/2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks Matt. You are a terrific host and a great cook too. Enjoyed all the excellent company and the food that other bought as well.

Bill

manderx
10/18/2004, 09:25 AM
yeah, thanks everyone for coming over. thankfully we had *perfect* weather, not sure how it would have turned out if we were all cramped inside...

and thanks to mike for being the grillmaster.

JNG567
10/18/2004, 12:46 PM
thanks a lot matt, these reef club meeting have really become quite a serious event these days

nvert
10/18/2004, 01:13 PM
Great time Matt...Thanks a bunch for a super bbque! Your cube tank rocks!

Shivaji
10/18/2004, 09:08 PM
Yeah, Matt, really enjoyed it, and thanks again for holding my frags and for the ones you gave me yesterday. My tank is just about full up now - gotta start planning the next one now ...