PDA

View Full Version : Add on Tank

viking30
11/02/2001, 06:46 AM
Just wondered what you guys here would think of this. I have a 200 gal tank that is built into a bar. The tank is only 6" off the ground so no possibility of a normal sump set up. I have room at one end of the tank where i could place a custom built add on tank. I.E. Extra 50 gal tank with partition that can drain into the main. In this tank i was thinking of a DSB and running the skimmer. The main tank is not drilled so i am working in reverse of the normal setup. Reasons behind this.

1, No dsb in main tank.
2, Extra 50 gal water
3, Easier place to exchange water and add top up's.
4, Gives me something else to work on and think about.

I was/am planning to take water from the main tank via power head to power the skimmer and this drain from the skimmer into the first section of the add on. Then drain back to main tank via drilled overflow to the main.
This is just in the planning stage (tank being made) but would like hear of any sugestions to this. I was thinking of a live sand bed, but if only recieving water from skimmer there would be no food to support this?? I can just pump from main if thats a better idea???
For further info Main tank has 200lb of live rock, but as yet no corals and only two clowns. Still reading here about lighting but at present 4 48" fluoresents. I dont have much head room for other lights, but will make the changes if i have too. Heat is a problem as i am in the tropics (Cairns Australia) so have to watch what i use.
OK so what do you guys think and suggest? I am new to this (salt water) so please dont think you would offend me. I have learned a great deal from here.

Cheers,
Viking.

Agu
11/02/2001, 03:00 PM
Depending on the dimensions of the sump, you could do something like what's pictured on this thread, http://www.reefcentral.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=42657&highlight=refugium Skimmer on one side, refugium on the other side, and drain/return in the middle.

Agu

viking30
11/02/2001, 03:28 PM
Agu,
Thats quite like what i had in mind, only two sections. I could make it three with the return in the last section. Still not sure if i should go live sand or just DSB. What would be your thoughts on that?
Cheers,
Viking.

Skipper
11/03/2001, 08:33 AM
Still not sure if i should go live sand or just DSB.

I am not a 100% sure what you mean, exactly. In my book, these are pretty much the same thing.

viking30
11/03/2001, 05:41 PM
Skipper,
What i meant was the difference between using just aragonite sand (new) or live sand full of worms etc. The difference in price is only 25 cents a lb between dead sand and live. My worry was if i use live and only supply this side sump tank with water from the skimmer there would be not enough food to keep this alive. As i said i am new to reef tanks and would like very much to do as good a job as possible, and learn as as much as i can.

Cheers,
Viking.

ByTor
11/03/2001, 06:11 PM
Viking, as for feeding the sump/refuge. You would just have to target feed it, or simplily turn off the skimmer for a few hrs after feeding the tank... For 25 cents apound more for LS I would definitely spend the money, that's if it is truly live...

Hey Skipper, You wrote a book?????:spin2:

Skipper
11/04/2001, 10:47 AM
ByTor: :fun2:
hehe