PDA

View Full Version : Aclimating Dry shipped snails?

C. Alan
11/01/2001, 06:08 PM
Yesterday I recieved a shipment of astaria snails from Etropic. They had been packed in a bag with only a small piece of wet gause in it. All of the snails were alive, and appear to be doing well in my tank.

My question is this, What is the proper way to aclimate dry shipped snails? I only had about 45 minutes to aclimate them, so I placed the bag in the water, and slowly added water to the bag (over the 45 minutes) until all the snails were covered. I don't know If this was the proper way to aclimate them. Only time will tell.
--C. Alan

tyoberg
11/01/2001, 06:17 PM
They're extremely delicate and ideally, you would acclimate them over 5+ hours.

One thing you can do now is to keep a close eye on them over the coming days. Any snail that finds itself upside down, you should turn upright (tell whoever else lives with you to do the same). It will greatly reduce the # of deaths if you do that whenever they might get stressed (chemistry swings, hot days, post shipping, etc).

If they appear alive now, then there's a good chance you won't loose many if you follow my advice.

Ty

C. Alan
11/01/2001, 06:21 PM
I guess my question should have read: how to you aclimate snails to your water when they are not shipped in water? The bag they came in only had a wet piece of gause in it, and no water to speak of.

Capt.Dave
11/01/2001, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by tyoberg
They're extremely delicate and ideally, you would acclimate them over 5+ hours.

Ty

Dr. Ron has a different opinion, he says for dry shipped snails to just drop them in.

Dave

Spongebob
11/01/2001, 09:33 PM
I may showing my ignorance here, but:

How do you acclimate anything for 5+ hours? If you're dripping your tank water into another container it sure isn't going to be the same temperature as your tank after that period of time has elapsed.

zt allstar
11/01/2001, 10:22 PM
Floating the bag will even out the temps. You can acclimate for a half hour or five hours, whatever you want. I think what was meant is to slowly add your tanks water to the bag thats floating.

Q-ball
11/02/2001, 08:25 AM
I tried this for the first time in August when I got some snails from BillsReef at MACNA...I went with Dr Ron's advice & floated them to warm them back up and dropped them in. I can't necessarily say I didn't have any losses cuz there were quite a few of them, but I can say that losses were very minimal cuz I've found very few empty shells;) Anyhow, it worked for me...

Q!!!