PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up A Sump

Waterbury Guy
09/22/2004, 12:03 PM
Got my tank re-established in my new house, but I'm coming to the quick realization that my HOB skimmer is just too damn loud. Sometime this winter, I'd like to look into putting a sump in the basement and run it up to the tank. I'd say it's roughly 12 feet. A couple quesitons here:

1) What size pump(s) will I need to get the water down to the basement, then back up.

2) Will the pump feeding the water to the basement will be quieter than my Remora Pro?

3) Anybody have any experience with this that could lend a hend when the time comes (much beer & food would be offered)

SHOmuchFUN
09/22/2004, 12:23 PM
Tom Preska just did this to his tank and it's TOTALLY SILENT! Almost eerily silent.

I'll research a good pump for you... You're probably going to want a pressure rated pump for "high head" applications.

SHOmuchFUN
09/22/2004, 12:58 PM
Suggested pumps:

Mak4
Velocity T4
IWAKI 40RLT
Little Giant 4 MDQ-SC
Dolphin ampmaster 3000
Blueline HD55
Mag 18

All of these pumps are going to produce around 600gph +/- 100gph of flow into your tank. You're still using a non-drilled 55 correct? I figured this would be the optimum flow for your setup, as you're going to need an external overflow and anything above 500 gph is going to be too much for the overflow to handle. But I would strongly urge you to find a drilled tank if you're going to go into the basement, so you would just run your overflow line into the basement into a large sump...

Anyway, for pumps, I used the reefcentral head calculator and accounted for about 12' of head, using a couple 45 degree elbows, 1" diameter PVC, a couple ball valves and a couple true unions.

Next step would be to assess gph/watt ratio and figure out which is most efficient... Then take that number and divide by the price to figure out which pump has the greatest value.

Waterbury Guy
09/22/2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks! I'm researching the bits and pieces as well. As the tank is only a 55, I figure I'll probably just do a 10 gal rubbermaid container. Depending on how much the pump(s) are, I'd like to do it by Christmas.

SHOmuchFUN
09/22/2004, 01:05 PM
If you're going into the basement, is size an issue? a 10 gallon rubbermaid is awefully small.

This is what I'd do, and have basically done myself (with some help)...

Find a cheap 55 (I think Jonathan has a couple lying around) drill it, and attach a bulkhead running into the basement. I'd then get a 40 breeder or 20L tank for a sump (or use the current 55 as the sump if you decide to drill another 55 for your display), add some acrylic dividers for bubble traps, ditch the remora pro (I sold mine for $200) and get a Euro-Reef blem (~$200) or a beckett to put in the sump (cause the remoras stink in the sump). I'd then choose a good return pump. You'd be ready to go...

It'd be a big project, but leaves room to upgrade your display down the road if you want to.

Waterbury Guy
09/22/2004, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately just bought a brand new un-drilled 55. Could certainly go bigger that 10 gal in the basement if needed.

SHOmuchFUN
09/22/2004, 01:31 PM
Scott, you still have to come by and see my tank...
I'm only in Montpelier!

Waterbury Guy
09/22/2004, 02:29 PM
I know! Hopefully sometime in October.

Waterbury Guy
09/22/2004, 02:33 PM
>>But I would strongly urge you to find a drilled tank if you're going to go into the basement

If that's going to be the case, I'll probably scrap the project. I just bought this tank, and just set it up.......

SHOmuchFUN
09/22/2004, 06:45 PM
Out of curiosity, why did you buy another 55 and one that wasn't reef ready?

tsalter
09/22/2004, 08:15 PM
http://www.preska.net/sumppic.jpg

I have a mak4 but I would swap it out with this http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BL-1100&Category_Code=DolphinEx it uses less watts

The sump is a 50 gal cattle tank i think I paid $75 for it at agway. It is already drilled.

You can go up and over with your plumbing on the 55 to the pump no need to drill if you don't want to.

I highly recommend this. I haven't run a fan since it is a natural chiller. I am heating a bunch more though. Going to add some more MH would rather heat with light than titanium.

TOM

Waterbury Guy
09/22/2004, 08:34 PM
>>Out of curiosity, why did you buy another 55 and one that wasn't reef ready?

I went with another 55, as if I went bigger that meant, new stand, new canopy, new lights, possibly new skimmer. With the house purchse, all that just wasn't in the cards. As for not reef ready, I think can be chalked up to stupidity. (nto sure if this is true or not), but I was assuming pre-drilled meant that I would HAVE to be running a sump as there would be holes in the tank. I knew I wasn't ready for that yet either.

Tom,
I don't think woulld be an issue with me as I'm only running PCs. Would I need two of those pumps, or only one.
Where did you buy your house?

Waterbury Guy
09/22/2004, 08:36 PM
That should read "I don't think heat would be..."

tsalter
09/22/2004, 08:55 PM
Hey,

We bought in Milton. The only place in chittenden county that we could find a house we could afford. It is a three minute walk to milton mini reef which is kinda scary. I'll have a meeting at my house soon so that i can show the new setup. My tank took a beating in the move. and I have a lot of work to do to get it back to shape.

I have a portable drill jig and have been wanting to try to drill something. I don't have a diamond bit but i can find them cheap enough on the net. 55's are tempered but I think you can drill the back or side. I don't know if that would be something that you would want to pursue? I would definately have to practice up on a ten before I tried on an expensive tank and couldn't quarentee that you would still like me if I cracked it.

When is a meeting going to be at your new place? You bought in waterbuy right? I would really have liked to live there. but after having years of scary winter commutes from jericho going that extra exit was out of the question for the girlfriend and me.

Tom

Waterbury Guy
09/22/2004, 09:14 PM
Yes, we bought in Waterbury Center. Only about 6 houses up from where we were renting. Could barely afforf this place, and it's small (~1,000 Sq ft) but in really good shape, and close to an acre. We just moved in fully a week ago, so should be up for a meeting here in Nov or Dec. My tank survived pretty well. I think it's because I had a new tank to put everything in and the move was so short.
I'd be willing to pursue the drilling option if it's that much more worth while than going over the top. I guess I'd have to bu fairly confident in your abilities as I just laid new laminate hardwoods down and would have to see them flooded.

tsalter
09/23/2004, 05:44 AM
cool,

Going over the top was for the return from the sump. For the display it could be drilled or use an overflow box. You would have to drill it empty so flooding wouldn't be an issue. It just could possibly crack in the drilling process and you would be out a tank.

Our house is pretty small as well.

Later

T

SHOmuchFUN
09/23/2004, 08:02 AM
Better him than me :D

You could always just buy an AGA 55 with overflow kit ("megaflow") and use your new 55 as a sump. It'd be an expensive sump, but it'd be a damn good setup! I understand $ is an issue with the new house and all. Just trying to make a more fail-proof scenario.

Brad A.
09/24/2004, 08:02 PM
Thats a serious sump!

tsalter
09/25/2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks Brad!

SHOmuchFUN
09/27/2004, 12:29 PM
FWIW...

I'm looking for a reef-ready 55.
I'll let you know if anything pops up. If I do find one, you're more than welcome to give Tom my 55 as a donor drill tank, but if Tom screws up, he owes me a reef-ready 180 :D Sound like a good deal?

mogulski
09/28/2004, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SHOmuchFUN
[B]If you're going into the basement, is size an issue? a 10 gallon rubbermaid is awefully small.

This is what I'd do, and have basically done myself (with some help)...

Find a cheap 55 (I think Jonathan has a couple lying around) drill it, and attach a bulkhead running into the basement.

Actually, I used my spare 55 to sump my 90. my existing 55 maybe up for grabs when i upgrade.
I have a cpr overflow (600gph) if anyone needs that i used for a year.

-Jonathan

Waterbury Guy
09/28/2004, 01:14 PM
>>I have a cpr overflow (600gph) if anyone needs that i used for a year.

Would that be too much on a 55? How much?

I kinda like Tslater's idea of the stock tank as it's already drilled.

mogulski
09/28/2004, 06:19 PM
without a doubt it's way less hassle to go with a reef ready tank, but if you have a non drilled tank go with it.
i used the above mentioned cpr for a year with a mag 7 as a return. it worked suprisingly well. it only lost syhphion onhce or twice. if you run them with a power head they are pretty much fool proof. Pete has been using one on his 125 for a few years without any problems. i used to just let it gravity syphion.
I'll let it go for i dont know, got anything to trade. other wise $45. marine depot has them for $87. i think that i paid even more for it, but if you can use it go with it.
see ya all at the next meeting, if i dont have to work.

Waterbury Guy
09/29/2004, 01:24 PM
I don't think I have anything to trade that you'd be interested in. The $45 sounds OK. Can you bring it to the next meeting for me to check out?

mogulski
09/29/2004, 01:29 PM
sure I'll brinhg it to the next meeting. what is the exact day, anyone know?

-Jonathan