PDA

View Full Version : quarantine tank filtration

kames
11/01/2001, 12:58 PM
Everyone,

Is a Hagen 401 Power Head with a 10 inch intake filter enough filtration for a 10 gallon quarantine tank? If so my plan is to take one of the powerheads off my main tank that has a well established filter attached to it and use it in my quarantine tank when necessary (taking my spare powerhead and putting that in my main tank for the interim of course).

Thanks,

Kris Ames

Skipper
11/03/2001, 08:43 AM
Kames.....
That sounds like some good thinking. Another idea would be to get one of the foam filter pads powered with an airstone and run it continuously. Here (http://www.petwarehouse.com/webstore/webstore.nsf/(id)/12F76?OpenDocument) is a picture of one.

Rivah Rat
11/04/2001, 10:23 AM
I would like to add. If you have to medicate the quarantine tank esp. with copper. Don't EVER,EVER, EVER put that filter back in your main tank. Keep it seperate or throw it out if there is a chance it might accidently get put in your main tank. They are cheap, as you know your tank is not. Hate to see a meltdown trying to save a couple bucks on a sponge filter.

kames
11/05/2001, 10:43 AM
Thank you both for the response! Based on someone else's input, I am just going to take the filter off the main tank power head and move it to my spare for the quarantine tank and then throw away the filter each time. I mean heck, it looks like I am only going to have a total of 7 fish in my 120 gallon anyway and 4 are already in, so that is not like I am going to be trashing hundreds of filters. With any luck I won't have to medicate at all! Thanks for the advice.