PDA

View Full Version : What's the best beginner book ??

Agu
11/01/2001, 11:22 AM
A lot of new marine aquarists aren't sure where they want to go in the hobby, have limited budgets, and are looking for the best information at the lowest price. What single book would you recommend and why?

Agu

Nosmada
11/01/2001, 12:06 PM
im guessing most people are going to say, The Conciensious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. i personally havent been able to read it because i cant find the darn thing. i ordered it an my local barns & nobel and it never came in and was finally told it was out of print. i do know that it ran for around $35-$40.

chris

p.s. anybody got a copy they dont need anymore:)

fade2black
11/01/2001, 12:07 PM
The Reef Aquarium Vol 1. IMO it's the best beginner book because it starts....well...at the beginning :) It covers the different setups, what each piece of equipment does..all the way through algae problems, lighting, inverts, and then into even SPS corals.

- Fade

Fcamdog
11/01/2001, 12:26 PM
The Natural Reef Aquarium by John Tulluck. Was my first reef book and taught me a tremendous amount. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone new to the hobby.

Agu
11/01/2001, 12:29 PM
Nosmada, If you go here, http://www.reefcentral.com/books/ , you can buy it for $28, and support RC at the same time :D .

I'd recommend "Natural Reef Aquariums" by Tullock and Moe. It provides the info necessary to setup a fowler or reef, or to start as a fowler (fish only with live rock) and convert to a reef in the future. It is a bit light on fish info, but at least someone will have guidance as to what fish are reef safe. It is a bit pricey at $25 for someone who isn't yet willing to take the plunge.

Agu

livingstone
11/01/2001, 12:59 PM
I recommend The Coral Reef Aquarium by Ron Shimek. A small, easy-reading, hard-cover book by a very reputable author that only goes for about ten dollars. If you wise-up :rolleyes: and decide not to do the marine aquarium thing, you're not out a lot of money.

bcoleman
11/01/2001, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Nosmada
im guessing most people are going to say, The Conciensious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. i personally havent been able to read it because i cant find the darn thing. i ordered it an my local barns & nobel and it never came in and was finally told it was out of print. i do know that it ran for around $35-$40.

chris

p.s. anybody got a copy they dont need anymore:)

FYI, I have a part time job at B&N and I just ordered CMA by Fenner...only took a few days to come in. I also ordered The New Marine Aquarium , The Natural Reef Aquarium , and The Coral Reef Aquarium. All of them arrived in less than one week.

Capt.Dave
11/01/2001, 07:41 PM
The Natural Reef Aquarium by John Tulluck, because it makes you think about the whole system and how it fits into real world ecosystems.

I would also recommend Dr. Ron's book as a short reference with all the basic facts for those just starting out who could be overwhelmed by the larger texts. This would be particularly useful for those people who would otherwise just rely on the LFS for all of their info, his little booklet goes a long way in bridging that gap.

Dave

piercho
11/01/2001, 08:17 PM
One more vote for "Natural Reef Aquarium" by Tullock. But - if you are going to keep coral - buy 2 books and get Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" as well.

DukeDog
11/02/2001, 08:11 AM
My vote is The Conciensious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. Its easy to understand yet still gives good info and pics.
Jeff

karlas
11/03/2001, 06:53 AM
After doing alot of research, we have found "The New Marine Aquarium", by Michael Paletta, to be a real good book. It is loaded with info, primarily about the Berlin system,but it really simplifies everything, step by step and it also includes stocking tips, ie better fish for beginners. We have found it to be very useful, along with everyone on the forums we belong to. The book is very easy to follow especially for the beginner, the only thing is with specifics, such as the exact filterand or protein skimmer you intend to use you may want to consult with others as well before you purchase, but otherwise this book is good and explains alot:cool:

andya
11/03/2001, 08:53 PM
I agree with fade ive read the modern reef aquarium vol 1 theres some good stuff in it, it could probably do with updating though ie dsb's for instance.

andy