PDA

View Full Version : Todays Meeting (9-19)

TippyToeX
09/20/2004, 01:07 AM
Hello all

First a big thanks to those who attend and looked past not having a private area to hold our meeting. We do have the room booked for next month but even knowing that I am going to go back down and make them give it to me in writing. :) At this point I am not trusting their word all that well. We did have a good suggestion by Gary to speak with someone at the Shark Reef for our meeting as they (the SR) seem very receptive to clubs meeting there. We will look into that. Dallas also found out thanks to a worker at ATMII that the owner of Round Table where our past two meetings have been held is a fish person! He might be willing to help us out more. To be sure we will look into both options.

Gary gave a great talk about acrylic working. The tools required and how to use them for the best end result. I even got a little hands on work and polished an edge of a sheet of acrylic. I don't think I did that good of a job but everyone humored me and said it looks great. I know I learned a lot. I had no idea just how precise one needs to be when working with acrylic. It seemed daunting to me, but watching Gary work and show his slides made me realize in a way it is an art form. Ok that may sound dorky but really, for those who saw what was needed you might understand my take on it. :)

Thanks to Gary we all walked away with a CD of pictures of not only his work but of his livestock. If you did not get one you might want to contact Gary and let him know that you are interested in a copy. There was much that we were not able to get to and that prompted the idea that we should (with Gary's nod) have a Part II to working with acrylic. Start doing/see how a tank is built in front of our eyes.

We had a new gent join our meeting. Ryan it was a pleasure to have you there and we hope to see you again next month, and of course posting here.

Hmm... there was of course lots of food and drinks and talk of our tanks. I think thats the best sum up I can do for the night. If anyone would care to add more please do so.

Again a big thanks to all that attended and for all that Gary put into this meeting. We do appreciate it.

dallast
09/20/2004, 03:39 PM
gary did a fine job with the acrylic demo! i thought it was going to be much more complicated than it was, but it doesn't really seem that daunting. now i can say this because i have yet to really work with acrylic.....i'm sure once i've started, i would be rethinking that idea. the only real obstacle for most of us is a table saw and appropriate blade! most everything else can be had readily.

i would really like to fabricate a refugium for my tank, so now i can start thinking of various possibilities and endless dimensions to play around with...thanks gary :D

as amy said, we have a possible "in" with round table....may even be able to get cut-rate food and beverage! let's definitely ask for the manager and mention our club.

we can ask shark reef....not sure how that will go over with jack, who is pretty friendly with lvmas, but he is the best, so i think, again, anything and everything to promote the hobby is worth it.

i hope everyone can make the next meeting....they are only getting better and better. and who wants to miss out on a super guest speaker!

cheers!

opihi
09/20/2004, 04:38 PM
thanks again Gary for an excellent presentation. you obviously put a lot of time into it, and have a lot of experience in acrylic working. i'm looking forward to Acrylics part 2, where we can actually assemble something. :D

i'm actually fine with having our future meets at either Shark Reef or continue having it at RTP. it would be nice to get the private room.

finally, thanks to everyone who donated a couple extra bucks to the club yesterday. i'll put the cash in a jar and maybe use it for reserving a domain name for the club. :thumbsup:

j

Razing Kane
09/22/2004, 05:13 AM
damn, i missed another one? well this new job has me busy on Sundays, I'm still trying to get caught up from my recent unemployment issue. maybe I can one take off in the near future, I look forward to meeting all of you. Besides I'm still in the stages of setting up this new tank so I can beg for frags from you guys!

TippyToeX
09/22/2004, 04:04 PM
No worries BJ, maybe next month on the 17th. :)