PDA

View Full Version : How well does this idea cross over?

skylsdale
09/19/2004, 04:23 PM
Hey guys, I know little to nothing about x-10 and multicontroller technology and all that, so forgive my obvious ignorance on the subject. However, I've got a question for you.

One of my other interests is in the captive husbandry of dart frogs (i.e. Dendrobates, Phyllobates, etc.). Many of the hobbyists involved with this specific niche are very much like reefkeepers, and want to provide the most natural and accurate habitat possible...and one of the facets of that is also diversity within the environment. Many vivariums are outfitted with automatic mistingn systems to maintain humidity, moisture, simulate rains, etc. However, creating obvious wet and dry seasons, lighting levels, etc. can be difficult when it has to be done manually. That's where the thought of a controller came to mind.

How possible would it be for something like what is being worked on (or even available) to run a single or multiple systems? Would it be possible to change and affect lighting levels based on data? What about various misting times throughout the day? I'm sure this is probably doable.

One of my questions lies in obtaining the data that drives the controller--would annual/monthly weather data be needed from a given area in South/Central America and then entered? Could a central website be used that stores this data, and then people could go there and connect or download the information into their system (possibly by country or region)?

I would appreciate any information you guys could provide.

Thanks!

easttn
10/06/2004, 01:38 PM
Clear out your email and send me a PM.