PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Question

BigDog
10/31/2001, 12:30 PM
can I use carbon placed in a power filter in my sump 24/7 365?b

ron4675
10/31/2001, 12:43 PM
IMO short answer yes
But the carbon should be replaced on a regular basis. After awhile depending on water conditions it will no longer clean the water. (carbon is porus and the pores will clog up eventually) I have heard that it will even begin leaching contamintes back into the water.
Also in a power filter (hang on) I am assuming the water can and will flow around the carbon instead of going through it so it won't be as effective as say another type of filter that forces the water through the carbon.
I use carbon in a power filter as well. I try to keep it wedged where the water will come in the most contact with it. I only use it for a week or two per month then toss it. Some people may use it more but that is what has worked for me.

Al
10/31/2001, 12:56 PM
If you have a sump, there's an easier way to use carbon. Just put it in a mesh bag (it's a good idea to double bag it), rinse well, and put the bag in the sump where it won't move. Make sure it can't get to the pump intake. That way you can do without the canister filter, and it's easy to replace the carbon when you need to do so.