PDA

View Full Version : Adding new perculas

tjfDownsouth
10/31/2001, 12:09 PM
I've had two false percs with an anenome for about 6 month's now. They have paired off and I would like to add two more to create a family group. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience adding new percs. Or have I waited to late and should just enjoy the ones that I have.

Carlos
10/31/2001, 01:16 PM
I would just leave the two there. It seems that they have paired up and they are happy together. Adding a couple of more will disrupt the chain of command that they have and might cause the two to split up.

Also, adding another two migth cause some wars specially if you happen to add another female to the tank.

Regards,

Carlos

firechild
11/05/2001, 04:59 AM
What size is the tank?
I have thought about trying to keep a small family, maybe 4 ocellaris clowns in a 80G. As Carlos says, adding another female is a definite no-no but adding juveniles would be a different question. Some species such as A. clarkii and P. biaculeatus are not good to keep in groups but I think percs would be fine. After all clowns in the wild develop family groups by recruiting juveniles that happen to swim by their anemone.

tjfDownsouth
11/05/2001, 09:33 AM
My tank is 65 gallons with just some other small fish.
Since I have a spare tank I decided I would try to add one new fish so this weekend I searched around and found the smallest percula I could find. When it was first introduced the female chased it around for about an hour, but she never actually attacked it. I have been keeping a close eye on the situation so I can pull the new one out if she gets mean. After the first day she has calmed down significantly she just swims over to the corner where the new fish is to see if it is still there then swims back to her anemone. It appears that she is becoming tolerant of the newbie so I am hopeful that she will accept it.
From everything that I have read the best way to get a group is to put all of you family in at one time then they will develop a pecking order and there won't be any territory problems like I have.