PDA

View Full Version : Coral HELP?

dghall
10/30/2001, 10:22 AM
OK guys...maybe this was stupid but, I have ordered my first corals to add to my tank and just realized that I have no idea as to how to actually add them to the tank. I have ordered a Frogspawn which I have heard from this board is a good beginner coral. The Marine Center says its like formed snot on blown glass. :) Anyway...when this thing comes on Thursday, how do I add it to my tank? Do I need marine epoxy? Will it sting me? If so, how do I grab it out of the bag? Do Frogspawn like alot of current, or none at all? Thanks for the help.

Dave

Wyatt
10/30/2001, 04:05 PM
The way I've always done it is, float the bag till the water in the bag is same temp as the water of the tank.

The frogspawn has a hard outside shell, which you can grab onto from inside the bag. It wont hurt you.

As for the placement in the tank....mine seems to like to be up towards to top....not the very top.....but up towards the top....with a nice flow of water running across it.

My advice for you would be to try different spots in your tank. You'll know when you've found the right spot, the coral will open and look really HAPPY!!:D ...but keep in mind when you move it give a week to adjust before thinking of moving it again. They seem to be rather slow in adjusting to the elements around them....so just take your time.

dghall
10/30/2001, 04:12 PM
So...will I need some sort of glue, or will it grab and hold on to the rock upon which I place it?

Dave

Wyatt
10/30/2001, 06:34 PM
I just wedge the coral into my live rock......stays just fine......but...some do glue it......like with my Hammer coral.....I glued it because of the weird shape of the rock it was attached to....but all my Frogspawns have always come with a decent size rock its attached to........just wedge into your live rock....a spot that you know isnt going to move easily with water flow or other critters crawling around it......

Phillstone
10/30/2001, 08:37 PM
I always float my stuff in the tank until the tempertures are the same approx 10-15 minutes.

Then comes the IMPORTANT part - your new corals have come from a different world than your tank- ( different salinity, different pH - etc.) They need to be slowly acclimated to your tanks chemistry. So I just treat coral like I do fish and after the temps are equal, then start adding about 1/2 cup of your tank water every 10-15 minutes until the salinity levels are the same, may have to take some water out of the bags and discard a few times.

Enjoy your new coral, Phill

dghall
10/31/2001, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have one more question though. What kind of water movement do Frogspawns like? Alot or a little? The reason I ask is I've heard differing opinions, so I thought I'd see what you guys thought. Thanks.

D

Vilas
10/31/2001, 11:50 AM
You'll see when you get the frogspawn that it has a base, which can just be wedged between some rocks. you can glue it, I don't bother with mine. It won't sting, don't worry about that. Be sure to acclimate it though. It will probably take a few days to open fully.

I find mine is happiest in somewhat moderate flow - water moving over it, but only so much that it's waving in the breeze, not being whipped around.
As far as feeding goes, try turning off the circulation and squirting it with meaty foods such as brine shrimp. Some of it will stick to the tentacles, and the animal will slowly move it towards the mouth.
Another thing you might notice is that this coral will occasionally poop. Don't worry, that's just fine. :) It caught me off guard at first. These are good corals. I have some clownfish who've taken it up as a part time home, it dosen't seem to mind at all.

Good luck!