PDA

View Full Version : Where are you guys getting your reef stuff?

Red Sea Purple Tang
09/16/2004, 10:36 AM
I'm in the planning stages of a move back to Milwaukee, and wanted to know where you guys get your reef stuff from. Frags, etc...

I've been to Aquatics Unlimited and the place on 76th and Good Hope....Hopfers?.....

nubreefer
09/16/2004, 04:43 PM
Hoffer's is the best as far as live stock that I've been to and most of the times I'd been there they've been helpful. But last time I went this one guy was a complete a$$hole and ended up passing me off to someone else that worked there after I asked for an emerald crab with all of it's legs and for a small cleaner shrimp to be charged as such (19.99 instead of 24.99). They gave me the lame excuse that the saltwater was starting to irritate his hands after being in the tank for all of 1.5 minutes. I'd been giving them a heck of a lot of business too, so I don't think they'll be seeing me around for a while.

There's a place on 27th, Pet World Wharehouse Depot. They have a lot of equipment and a decent selection of fish. Live rock is way over priced, and their crustacean selection is limited, but they're always decent people at least.

My advice? Goto pet world for supplies, if you don't wanna get them off the net, go to hoffer's for livestock, but avoid the tall, ugly, skinny, blond kid with the short hair.

MiddletonMark
09/16/2004, 04:45 PM
For corals, drive to Green Bay and visit Gooch. www.goochscorals.com
You won't be let down, great stuff. Don't waste your money elsewhere.

N8WI
09/16/2004, 04:48 PM
I have also been disappointed with Hoffers. They always seem to have the stuff I want. And have a very good livestock supply, but their prices are high along with their attitude. I have had several jack@sses when I have gone there. I too have given them a lot of business. I think I am going to have to stick with my friend down by pet stuff in West Bend who gives me a 50% discount on all the stuff I buy.
Nate

Red Sea Purple Tang
09/19/2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

puddingskin
09/20/2004, 05:28 PM
I personally have had some of the worst help from the guys at all of the pet worlds. Specifically a guy at the 27th St. Store told me "hell if I know" when I asked him what a fish was, then proceeded to walk away. I thought to get some who might know. No he just went to help someone with feeder fish. Also I have always noticed that pet worlds have way to many aptasias and bubble algaes. And everyone is right hoffer's is overpriced and the people are arrogant. I too would suggest Gooch's in Green Bay, but also dont forget Aqua Exhibits downtown, but ya better get there soon after a delivery day, otherwise it seems to thin out quick.

Red Sea Purple Tang
09/20/2004, 06:02 PM
Where is Aqua Exhibits located?

cichlidgeek345
09/21/2004, 09:57 AM
[edited]

Red Sea Purple Tang
09/21/2004, 10:25 AM
:beer: Steveo...that's sweet! We're looking into the Oak Creek area, so having a store nearby is awesome! I look forward to seeing your store.

shred5
09/29/2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
For corals, drive to Green Bay and visit Gooch. www.goochscorals.com
You won't be let down, great stuff. Don't waste your money elsewhere.

Thats were I get my corals from...

Dave

Red Sea Purple Tang
09/29/2004, 04:49 PM
I'm not going to mind a weekly trip to GB to visit Gooch!

hwynboy
09/29/2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Red Sea Purple Tang
Where is Aqua Exhibits located?

3rd and Juneau in Milwaukee

TropTrea
10/07/2004, 06:11 PM
Some general comments:
Hoffers prices..... Just look at the size of that store. What would you think his heating bill alone runs. Than look at how much help he has to have to keep it running. With all that overhead it is a wonder that he can still stay in business.

Big Chain Stores....... The big problem with these places is that they hire people at low wages generaly giving them high school people or those that are on there first job. In many cases the computer system does there ordering and in some cases there may be no one in the store that truely knows what they are selling.

The Small Guys..... These people know what they are doing and are in the business because they love the hobby. The big problem is that every year there are less of the, They cannot compete with WalMart prices as ovethen there price for quality merchandise is higher than the big guys sell the inferior look alikes for.

Akk I can say ius support the small huy whenever you can. If we don't there will the day where the only stuff you can get is what WalMart sells. Which does not give a lot of help to the reef and salt water people.

Red Sea Purple Tang
10/08/2004, 03:37 PM
My experience has always been great with small stores, so I'm all about supporting them if they're bring in or can get a hold of, quality stuff. Thanks for the info!