PDA

View Full Version : Powerheads and alternatives

Kaya
10/29/2001, 05:25 PM
I am setting up a 125 gallon tank and would like to do this correctly from the beginning. I have a concern ( so does my wife ) that we will be running many separate pumps/lights/filters and lots of cords/plugs all adding to the electric bills. One area that seems to make sense to me is to design the tank with one main external pump to drive all of the individual heads for the wave action and to use the ocean current devices to accomplish this. This may be more expensive to initially set up but seems to be a more efficient energy method of wave generation. Any ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated.

JerryReef
10/29/2001, 05:55 PM
In fact, that is what I am designing to feed my system, with additional returns, to eliminate the # of power-heads need.

Furthermore, if one uses wave-producing gadgets, switching the pumps on and off constantly, will generate immense wear and tear on the pumps. Pumps are more expensive than power-heads.

I will need at the least, two pumps for my specific usage, one for the filtration system and the second for a closed-loop system. Both the systems combined will power approximately 6 return outlets into the main tank.

Jerry

====
I don't know where I am headed with this experience, but I am on my way ........

Agu
10/31/2001, 12:25 AM
You may want to go here, http://members.home.net/kevdone/AF/Articles.html and check out the "Product Reviews" prior to purchasing the Ocean Currents or other current generating devices.

hth, fwiw, etc,
Agu

JerryReef
10/31/2001, 02:42 AM
That is a good link, Agu, did have the page bookmarked!

How do you have your system setup?

Thanks
Jerry
=====
Desires are the pulses of the soul; as physicians judge by the appetite, so may you by desires......

Agu
10/31/2001, 02:41 PM
Jerry,

On the 180 reef I have five maxijet 1200's on a red sea wavemaker. Two of the maxis power spraybars. I attach xenia to the powerheads and the exposed spraybar(the other one is behind the rockwork), and they're really not that visible unless you're looking for them. This is in addition to the Sen 900 return pump.

The other two tanks are medium to low flow tanks, so there's just a spraybar attached to the return pump.

Agu

JerryReef
10/31/2001, 08:32 PM
Agu

Five maxijet 1200's ….. Wow!

How many return outlets do you have. What sort of directional flow have you adopted? How is the red sea wavemaker, how long have you had it?

Two of the maxis power spraybars

What do you mean, did you modified them?

Attach xenia to the powerheads is a great idea.

Thanks

Jerry
===

Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere

Agu
11/01/2001, 05:11 PM
Jerry, My sen 900 is a bit underpowered compared to some of the return pumps on reef tanks, hence the five maxis. It's hooked to dual lock line outlets.

1/2 inch pvc is just a bit too small to fit over a maxi output, but if you cut a lengthwise notch in it's end with a saw (about 3/4" long) it'll give enough to slide over the maxi output. Then cap the other end and start drilling holes. Hint, the pvc is cheap, buy a few feet, don't glue the cap on and you can try several spraybar configurations until you find the pattern and velocity you like.

Read sea is trouble free, 18 months.

hth,
Agu

JerryReef
11/01/2001, 06:14 PM
Any possibilities of pics, as I am researching for my new setup? I was going with possibly 6 outlet spouts at each corner, blowing at a 45 angle; located towards the lower part of the tank. 4 in the rear and 2 in the front corners.

Going with 2 pumps, sump iwaki MD100RTL in the basement and smaller iwaki under the tank, in cabinet, connected to a closed loop system (4 outlets) hooked to a wave maker.

Thanks
Jerry
=====

Not sure where I am headed with this, but I am on my way.....