PDA

View Full Version : ? on ballasts

Nanighan
09/14/2004, 03:12 PM
Just got my new pfo mini pendant that comes the bulb(250w DE 14k), and the ballast, also a pfo hqi. Now the question is the ballast keeps trying to fire the bulb which lights up then quits. When I called MD they said leave it plugged in together for 8-12 hrs because it needs to "break-in". I think he's feeding me a line, but I could be wrong. Right now the the new pendant is running of my old ballast(pfo hqi), and my old pendant is on the new ballast that keeps trying to fire it. Its not the bulb because its running fine on my old ballast, nice color BTW. Fact or fiction let me know guys.

opihi
09/14/2004, 04:14 PM
sounds like a little bit of bull to me. but then again, i don't know much about ballasts other than which plug goes to the wall, and where the switch is. :P

TippyToeX
09/14/2004, 05:04 PM
It's the truth Ron. Let it burn for as long as it takes. The bulb will come back on. It happened to me and for a few friends.

opihi
09/14/2004, 05:11 PM
ron, is it the bulb and pendant or the ballast that's failing?

it sounds to me like it's the ballast giving you trouble. you have probably tried running the new pendant on the new ballast w/o success thus you're now trying the old pendant set on the new ballast (and still without success).

is that true?

TippyToeX
09/14/2004, 05:17 PM
You know, I think I misread that all. I thought the bulb was giving you trouble. :) Sorry Ron.

If it's the ballast I would at least give their suggestion a try. Did you ask them in their forum here on RC too? If not you might want to try that as well.

Nanighan
09/14/2004, 07:16 PM
It finally quit firing the bulb after a few hours. I had it pluged for 6 and no luck. Im at work now so i didn't leave it plugged for safety reasons. I might try over night. Thanks for the replys.

TippyToeX
09/15/2004, 03:02 AM
Let us know how it turns out. I know PFO really stood behind a faulty ballast I was sent. Good CS IME, and if something is wrong I believe they will make it right.

LVfishguy
09/15/2004, 10:55 AM
I had a customer that had a problem like that and it actually turned out to be a bad batch of bulbs. Didn't make sense to me but we got him some new bulbs and everything was good...Except that he didn't have another ballest to run the bad bulb on. It's wierd that your bulbs are running fine off of the old ballast...

Nanighan
09/15/2004, 10:58 AM
OK here's the deal I kept it plugged in overnight, and it just quit firing altogether this morning. Although the ballast is still on and getting hotter. I called Marine Depot about this and they told me to leave it plugged in for THE NEXT 2-3 DAYS, ***! I need a light now!! I think Im going to call PFO since thats what MD wants me to do eventually. Also I feel this taints thier reputation with me, and Ill leave it at that!

Aim Im sure Pfo will make things right...
Chris the bulb is fine, last night I was using my old DE 10k which has been running for months with no problem.

TippyToeX
09/15/2004, 04:14 PM
Dang, keep it pluged in for 2 days? Did you ask them what the logic is behind that? Sounds off, but I really don't know the true works of their ballasts.

I hope PFO can overnight you a new one. :)

Nanighan
09/15/2004, 04:37 PM
Latest on my problem is I just called PFO today and they will send me some tube wiring which I have to install myself. It should work according to them. Thanks for all the prayers and support from you guys:). Im not usually this grumpy!

TippyToeX
09/15/2004, 05:17 PM
Glad PFO is willing to do something about it. I hope the wiring is easy to setup. :)