PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic World

jor8888
09/14/2004, 10:11 AM
Anyone one ever been to Aquatic World? I am looking to get a new tank+stand and from the look of the website this place must be huge. Wonder if its worth the trip from Chicago?

http://www.aquaticworld.net/

moujon
09/14/2004, 02:10 PM
I've been there many times since they aren't too many miles from me. If you are looking just for the tank setup then it's an okay place to go. But I've never been real impressed with the conditions of the tanks (FW or SW). It's a big warehouse and it feels like it. And generally, the advice you get depends on which high school kid is working that day.

I have bought supplies and a couple of pleco's from them. When it comes to "specialty" fish, I just prefer to shop somewhere a little nicer and has more knowledgeable staff. I've also found great deals on tanks & setups from other forum enthusiasts.

Have you tried printing off AW's website price page and taking it to your LFS? Perhaps a local (not franchised) store in Chicago would be willing to match the price to get a new customer.

Gem Tang Rider
09/14/2004, 05:33 PM
They have some excellent prices on tanks & stands. You should be able to get the tank prices off their website. They will try to sell you other stuff to make up for the cheap tank price, just say no thanks. They will match prices on equipment if you know who had them cheaper. They will make the call to the other store, & if the price is confirmed they will beat it.
Their fish selection is poor for saltwater.

Ereefic
09/15/2004, 07:29 PM
We have gotten 3 tanks from them and have been very happy with them. Good prices.

May wanna call and make sure all is well, I know last time I was there (they were closed) they were selling the property. Don't know if there selling and shutting down or moving all together.

Save yourself some time while there and don't even enter there livestock area, very pitiful.

jjjimmy
09/15/2004, 08:03 PM
They just changed owners this last weekend. About 1 1/2 year ago I bought my 180 AGA RR with an RJ aquatics signature series oak stand and canopy for just under $1500. I thought it was a good deal. I am wotking with them right now to get a new upgraded (taller) canopy from RJ aquatics to match my stand., but RJ is in florida, so it may be a couple of weeks.

Ereefic
09/15/2004, 08:05 PM
We got a 120L (72x18x20) Great Lakes tank and RJ Pine stand for about $400

superlazy
09/16/2004, 04:58 AM
I'd call first and make shure the store will match the web price.
I had a prob. with them a few years back about that.

MalawianDude
09/16/2004, 12:34 PM
i agree with the other guy, staff is pretty empty in the head, but nice lookin girls workin there. There new owner is a girl i hear :) Seems they have hired different people with a bit more knowledge about fishkeeping, and plan to expand their african cichlid display's. I would strongly suggest compaing them to pet world in madison, after i bought my tank at AW and went to pet world a little later could have gotten a way better deal at PW then AW.

wrassie86
09/16/2004, 09:44 PM
ya i have bought several tanks from them,and i dont think there is anybody cheaper. when i bought my 55g for a sump, it was $50 hell of a deal. but all the ubove comments apply.also i have not been there since they changed owners (a week before) so who knows now.

shred5
09/29/2004, 03:16 PM
I have bought almost all my tanks and stands from them for the last 15 years.. Great prices on equipment... I would never buy livestock from them....

Dave

MalawianDude
09/30/2004, 11:52 AM
yea their livestock is pretty crappy, i went there 2 weekends ago, and most tanks were empty for some reason. Hopefully new owner will make some nice upgrades

tlalond
10/01/2004, 04:44 PM
do they have decent prices on rr acrylic tanks? and where are they located?

MalawianDude
10/02/2004, 05:19 PM
acrylic tanks, i didn't see to many there, mostly glass perhaps someone that is a frequent shopper there will know for sure, they are located in oconomowoc, 30 mins. NW of milwaukee, website is: www.aquaticworld.net

Blackgagt1
10/03/2004, 12:11 AM
from the pictures looks big.

however nothing special. many of the tanks were very empty, with many of the same fish, bread and butter.

do yourself a favor don't buy any equipment there. The skimmers they stock are better off in the garbage.

if you want to know more PM me

MalawianDude
10/03/2004, 12:59 PM
equipment is always better bought offline, saves alot of money usually.

TropTrea
10/07/2004, 09:51 PM
From past experience I had always wondered how they could sell tanks at under wholesale untill one of my suppliers explained it to me.

They generaly wait for things to come on special, Wholesale specials are usually 25% off. Than because they have to store tanks they buy them by skid loads. Buying a skidload of tanks usually results in another 15% off. In the end a tank that normally costs $100 wholesale and $200 suggested retail they purchase for $60.00. Now if they turn around and sell it $100.00 they are still making a decient margin on it. Since they owned the building there rent is low and with there young staff labor is cheap.

A lot of people shop on line and get better prices. these are also the people that wonder why the local shop went out of business. When you have a shop you cannot survive on simply live stock sales. When I had my shop I would average 2 weeks for a complete turn over of live stock in roughly 100 tanks and 2,500 gallons. Yet the live stock sales only accounted for less than 25% of my total expenses.

Dennis

Gem Tang Rider
10/08/2004, 01:40 PM
Dennis,
Are you out of business. I was trying to find your shop about 6 mo. ago. All your numbers were disconnected.

Amandaschlicher
10/28/2004, 09:53 PM
the new owner seems very interested in turning the store around, she gave me a great price on a 20" power compact i couldn't even find anywhere else.... i also looked there for my large setup (which i haven't purchased in full yet) and was pleased with the service i received... it seems like they are still trying to bounce back from the condition the previous owner left it in though....

MalawianDude
10/29/2004, 08:14 AM
yea good thing too. She is doing a good job, we're lookin into a 72g bow full setup, and she could do $3.00 under everyone else, but was willing to hook me up with a bag of salt, so figured what they hey, it works.