PDA

View Full Version : Baby brine shrimp anyone?

WILDTHING
09/13/2004, 03:27 PM
Baby brine is very easy to hatch but I know that somepeople don't do it and you can usually only find adult brineshrimp in the store (at least here).

I decap my eggs before hatching so there is little or no chance of introducing aipistos (sp?)

Great treat for filter feeders and even some fish especially mandarins.

If there is any interest let me know, I'll be happy to bring you some.

manderx
09/13/2004, 04:24 PM
i used to hatch them. i'm doing phtyo at the moment, and hope to get some rotifers going as soon as i automate my phyto system enough to be reliable. i'll probably start up with BBS then also.

are there any floating shells once they hatch with decapsulated eggs? most people i've heard of decapsulate to get higher hatch rates, but i've never had a problem with that. i would however be all over it if it meant not introducing shells into my tank.

-m

WILDTHING
09/13/2004, 04:46 PM
No, still have the floating egges. What I do is after I hatch them in a 2 liter bottle,I put them in one of those black box things with the small clear plastic collection cups that has a sm hole in it, then put it by some light, the BBS are attracted to the light so they swim up the hole and leave the eggs behind. The only prob is if you forget them for more than 2 hrs in the black box thingie they start to die without the airation. Been there done that

WILDTHING
09/13/2004, 08:02 PM
Have you heard of Life A, I'm not 100% sure but I think they might be shelless.

manderx
09/14/2004, 07:26 AM
they look pretty cool. i'll probably pick some up:
http://aquariumpros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQBLA250

WILDTHING
09/14/2004, 09:15 AM
Wow, I knew that they were more expensive than reg eggs but I never realised that they were that expensive. Still, a heaping teaspoon full of mine gives me a 10g chhocked full of BBS so I guess it'll go a long way.