PDA

View Full Version : female blue mandarin

nolofinwe
09/12/2004, 06:00 PM
Well, have I got egg on my face.

I bought a blue mandarin last february and it seems im starting to run low on pods, as she's lost a bit of weight over the last two weeks.

Has anyone considered adding one to their established system? Anyone interested on giving her a good home?

Let me know. Thanks.

SHOmuchFUN
09/12/2004, 08:40 PM
I tried that route once before and it didn't fare well... :(

You could always try and rebuild your pod population. Just pile a bunch of LR rubble in a corner of your tank and make sure no other fish can get inside of it. This provides a trouble free breeding grounds for your pods and hopefully it'll rejuvenate your mandarin's food supply.

fishfarmer
09/13/2004, 11:33 AM
Have you tried target feeding her? I had a mandarin that ignored regular food floating around, but then shot some frozen brine shrimp in front of her and she ate it. I then tried frozen mysis shrimp and she really took to that.

Al

nolofinwe
09/13/2004, 05:41 PM
You know, I actually haden't even considered it, I assumed it was an old wives tale that never actually worked. Ill pick up some mysid tomorrow.

The offer is still on the table, regardless if it works.

assuming it did work, how often would you have to feed?

fishfarmer
09/14/2004, 11:36 AM
I fed mine about every other day since I still had a good population of pods.

nolofinwe
03/09/2005, 02:09 PM
I was just digging through old posts, and I thought everyone would be thrilled to learn that the mandarin, in fact, has a spot for formula one pellets.

Who knew.

SHOmuchFUN
03/09/2005, 02:12 PM
Sweet :thumbsup:

Want to sell her to me now? :D

nolofinwe
03/09/2005, 02:15 PM
She'd make a terrific nano tank candidate.

SHOmuchFUN
03/09/2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, if she eats the formula regularly. Not a whole lot of pods (if any at all really) to be had in a pretty fresh nano.

hands40
03/10/2005, 09:22 AM
My friends want me to put one in my tank... they even have me wanting one, but the pod issue concerns me. I have been looking around and RM has that 'Ocean Pods' product to replenish your reef. I would try that if I had one.

nolofinwe
03/10/2005, 09:44 AM
That would be a pretty expensive diet to accomodate. When I first started I got a scooter blenny (dragonette), that disintegrated over the course of a month. Not an enjoyable experience.