PDA

View Full Version : Detritivore Kits

jordala
10/27/2001, 10:02 PM
Would these be beneficial to a FO tank? I have a sand bed of about 3" (just started it up yesterday). Is this something I would put in as soon as the "dust cloud" settled to cure my sand? Or do I add this after it's already cycled?

Thanks bunches :rollface:

Laura

Skipper
10/27/2001, 11:03 PM
They would be beneficial to the sandbed, yes. I would wait a couple of days after your sand has settled. Also, depending on exactly what is in the particular detrivore kit, it is probably best to add them to the tank after lights out to minimize consumption by your fish so the critters have time to hide and settle in.

Reef Junkie
10/28/2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Skipper
They would be beneficial to the sandbed, yes. I would wait a couple of days after your sand has settled. Also, depending on exactly what is in the particular detrivore kit, it is probably best to add them to the tank after lights out to minimize consumption by your fish so the critters have time to hide and settle in.

Ditto:cool:

Peace,
Billy

jordala
10/28/2001, 12:10 PM
Right now I don't have any fish in there....in fact nothing at all...just sand and water ;) I've changed out about half the water to try and get rid of some of the sand cloud. It does seem better. I'm also running my powerfilter to try and mechanically filter it out (rinsing the pads about 3-4 times a day).

Thanks for the info. I'll see about getting one of these kits as soon as the tank clears up.

:smokin:

npaden
10/29/2001, 10:00 AM
One thing you need to consider before you add the kit is what you are going to have in there for fish and/or inverts. If you are going to add any sand sifting gobies or starfish you would just be providing them with a very expensive meal.

Depending upon the fish you plan on having you could customize a detritivore kit that might not get eaten.

FWIW, Nathan