PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI questions

CaptainDave
09/10/2004, 02:58 PM
I posted this in the New to the Hobby section, but I was thinking that you guys might have something to say about it too.....

RO/DI questions (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=434036)

thanks for the input!

mbort
09/13/2004, 07:38 AM
Dave .. if you implement a storage tank and auto shut off valve, the RO/DI will only run when you need water. You can set the system up with an auto top off if you desire, there are many ways to do this, some much safer than others.

Walter at airwaterice is really good to deal with, I have had good luck with him.

manderx
09/13/2004, 10:31 AM
yup, airwaterice has a great deal on the stuff. you definately want the autoshutoff (which comes with the AWI), though i personally don't like storage tanks because it reduces the effective pressure on the membrane. it's probably not as big a deal if you have soft input water with good pressure, but on my low-pressure hard-as-rock well water, it made my membrane poop-out after less than 18 months, and that was with really light use. it's output dropped from ~60 gallons a day to ~2.5 on a 100gpd membrane.

i'd go with a raised storage container that could gravity-feed to wherever you need it rather than a pressure tank if you want something better than just filling a trash can as needed.

home depot has 1/4" plastic speedfit adapters and valves across from the PVC. you'll definately want a few of the valves at least. they are the ones where you just push the tubing in and it seals. compression fittings suck.