PDA

View Full Version : manifold update

Ronald
09/10/2004, 08:43 AM
Hi Anthony,

I finished my plumbing project and will photograph it in action. After a few minor leaks and the need for a better over flow device (I chose CPR's continuous siphon system which gives 1600 gph! siphon is maintained by a small aqualifter pump. the system seems to work great but is a little loud.) The manifold is working with the SCWD but the flow is imballanced with most being delivered before it gets to the SCWD. I will add attachments etc to try to tweek the balance. I have 4 refugia in a nice cascade, one algea tank, one dbs with live rock, one for coral props and one I haven't decided yet ?mangroves maybe? I have no in tank power heads :D and one iwaki runs the show. I am planning on wiring a solenoid and relay to the pump to avoid over flow and possibly a second to re establish siphon if the pump gets turned off (which would only happen if siphon is lost). Here's what I have noticed after 3 days:

--- I needed to add a fan, even with the pump and power heads out of the water, the Iwaki generated enough heat in the small tank room to heat up the water.

---- My coral needed to adjust so I increased the flow slowly so they could get used to it (and so I could get my CPR overflow delivered)

--- MY pH is stable!!!! If you recall I have had continual problems which you have provided advice to help with. I had things under control with water changes and kalk as well as B-ionic but if left alone I always drifted toward 7.8. Now I am rock stable at 8.2-8.4 with no need to continuously dump chemicals in the tank. I am maintaining the water changes of course and will continue the kalk. Hopefully this will avoid all the inorganic mineralization I was having over time.

----Next step calcium reactor (I already have the connection plumbed. Any recommendations?

Sorry for the long post. I'll Keep you updated and thank you again for all the advice and help. Please take your time responding as I am sure you have more pressing issues. Thanks again.

Ron:strooper:

Anthony Calfo
09/18/2004, 11:59 PM
sorry for missing this one Ron... got buried in my e-mail :) (the notice)

great to hear of your forward progress! I'm looking forward to seeing pics posted.

kindly,

Anthony

Ronald
09/19/2004, 10:45 PM
Hi Anthony, no appology needed I am always happy to here from you and appreciate your reply.

I am shocked this actually works the way I intended. After some tweeking of the in tank flow I have a stable system easily adjusted for feeding/night time flow and producing a gentle rhythmic wave that makes the coral move with the flow. :rollface: I have added a fan to get rid of some of the heat that the Iwaki pump cranks out and have stabilized at 80-81 degrees. My pH remains rock stable I think the extra flow is blowing off all that CO2 accumulated from my basement. I have a web site that shows some of the features of the new system. Notice the CPR continuous overflow box I installed with the airlift pump and filter. The new sump was costum ordered and the rough shelves were my first attempt at carpentry since high school. Check out the web site HERE (http://homepage.mac.com/ronaldalberico/plumbingmanifold/PhotoAlbum7.html) for pictures (also through in a couple of my best efforts at phoyographing my pets). Note the complete lack of power heads. I can't wait until those refugia start cranking out organisms for the coral to munch on. All that's left is the solenoid switch for the pump to prevent overflow if the siphon is lost. Thanks again!

Ron

Anthony Calfo
09/20/2004, 01:31 AM
fantastic!

Rock on my brother :)

Anthony

Ronald
09/20/2004, 06:52 AM
Thanks Anthony

The towels on the floor are just a reflection of my continued paranoia over floods. :) Any recommendations on a calcium reactor? Thanks again and have a good week.

Ron

Anthony Calfo
09/20/2004, 11:02 AM
for CA reactors... I have a bit of an antiquated preference personally - I like the last generation Knop reactors. The newer versions are fine - and have some improvements - but are style-wise less appealing to me.

There really are more than a few other very good brands out there too though. Do some keyword searches of the threads here on RC and beyond for a consumer pulse on preferences/recommendations here at large.

best of luck,

Anthony