PDA

View Full Version : Babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rhwimmers
10/27/2001, 12:13 PM
WOHOO!!! I have 4 baby banggai in captivity!!!!!!!!! Sweet, im so excited! I was cleaning the tank yesterday and all of a suddan I saw a baby swimming next to the breeder net...so I sucked him up with a turkey baster, and spit him in the net... Found 3 more throught the day...
im wondering why he didnt release them all at night?
It was late, but i kept the lights on because i was doing a waterchange, and getting the 10gallon setup.
he still has more in his mouth, i guess Ill keep lookin for more as they appear..
there can be like..20-30 though right?

They are so cute!

Thanks for all the help Frank!

FMarini
10/28/2001, 04:48 PM
Congrats

your journey has just begun.
If you were fooling around in the tank, this may have scared the male into releasing a few fry...there should be more to come. It might take another day or two.
Keep your eyes sharp, your turkey baster handy, and get that brine bubbling...
Keep me posted
frank

Guy
10/28/2001, 05:44 PM
Hi,

Frank - I thought this would be a good time to post my 1 month results with using prawn eggs.

my feeding regime is as many prawn eggs in the morning as they will eat and the scraps of minced clams/scallops/Salmon fat that I feed the adults in the evening. That's just two feedings a day.

Out of Twenty that I managed to save from the release....Twenty are still alive :D

They are also growing faster then the fry I've raised in the past, ie. They are now the same size as the 2 month olds I have in my other refugium feeding brine and the same frozen clams/scallops/Salmon fat.

rhwimmers
10/28/2001, 07:08 PM
http://cjwimmers.8k.com/banggai/banggai.htm

there they are

THANKS!

SPC
10/28/2001, 09:39 PM
Guy, where do you purchase the Prawn eggs if you don't mind me asking?
Steve

Sally
10/29/2001, 06:59 AM
Hi: I am also very interested in the prawn eggs..as I will be needing them in about two weeks hopefully. SPC...I hope you can get some and I can buy them from you...let me know. Also I need the brine shirmp hathery kit, eggs, and a breeders net. Let me know if I can get these from you...thanks!

FMarini
10/29/2001, 08:27 AM
Hi All:
Guy has posted about this in an eariler post. I'll let him get the specifics but needless to say he didn't know the name of the product and its was purchased thru his LFS-who did not provide their source. Hopfully by now his LFS has spilled the beans.

There have been others(reefengineer) who have made mention of using fish eggs or prawn eggs w/ the banggai fry w/ excellent success. The fact that these eggs are so loaded w/ HUFAs cholesterol and protien makes them the perfect meal.

Sounds like were on our way to having an adequate food subsititute for the banggers.
A great time for all
frank

fishymissy
10/30/2001, 11:00 AM
Even though I don't have any banggai at the moment, I would love to set up a tank for them in the future and raise some fry. Reading about what to feed, are you saying that you could feed them caviar? And how exactly to you make up the mix that Guy is talking about? I understand the mincing of clam, and scallops, but where do you get the salmon fat? From salmon you have cooked?
Thanks for any info!:fish1:

Guy
10/30/2001, 12:13 PM
The Salmon fat I use is trimmed off of my salmon fillets BEFORE I slap them on the grill ;)

Even though it if full of HUFA most people don't eat this fat. So far it has been a good supplement to my fish food.