PDA

View Full Version : Is this club to new to do an Acropora power buy?

Mafiaman
09/09/2004, 04:07 PM
A sponsor has offered to do a power buy for us.
The whole sale people told them they are the size of a womans fist.

The sponsor says they can get them to us for $30.00 each!!!!!!

What do you think??

akula
09/09/2004, 04:26 PM
what would be the minimum light requirement for that type of coral?

Mafiaman
09/09/2004, 04:27 PM
Metal halides

davisju1
09/09/2004, 04:57 PM
I would get one or two.
What kind and colors can they get?

Mafiaman
09/09/2004, 05:06 PM
No one knows, They are classified as "medium fancy".
This is the way it would work,
1) find out how many to order.
2) have them deliverd the day before the meeting
3) it will be a blind grab, meaning you reach into a closed cooler and grab a bag witout looking. ( no cherry picking) and that one is yours.
4) trade with others if you wish.

Originally posted by davisju1
I would get one or two.
What kind and colors can they get?

wasabi
09/09/2004, 09:47 PM
would be interested in more than one if they are seperated by species. im glad to shell out the bucks and take a chance on different species. but i would not want three of the same coral going home...

Mafiaman
09/10/2004, 05:23 AM
I guess that would be a possabillity, hopefully you'd be able to trade with others.
I'd trade with you. ;)

wasabi
09/10/2004, 04:17 PM
any possibility of ordering superduper fancy?

reef-fossil
09/11/2004, 12:22 AM
Not for nothing, but $30 for unknown, Marine Fish has SPS "frags" for about / around that and you'll see what you get. Granted, they may not be ultra-exotic, but you see what you get. Picked up some recently and they were about the size of a woman's fist. Now, only one was an Acro, others were Montipora...

I am definitely curious about this possibility though.

-Chris

Mafiaman
09/11/2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by reef-fossil
Not for nothing, but $30 for unknown, Marine Fish has SPS "frags" for about / around that and you'll see what you get. Granted, they may not be ultra-exotic, but you see what you get. Picked up some recently and they were about the size of a woman's fist. Now, only one was an Acro, others were Montipora...

I am definitely curious about this possibility though.

-Chris
I must be shoping in the wrong places, I have 50+ types of Acros and have gotten several localy ( metro atlanta) most were the size of an egg and I have never paid less than $65 and the one frag I got local was a purple pracilapora and it cost $40.
Most were $90+

Chris (also)

reef-fossil
09/11/2004, 09:27 AM
Hey Chris - it's the other Chris again.

Yeah, SPS are expensive. But MF has had good prices typically. But they aren't colonies, but frags. Didn't realize that these were going to be colonies, so that does make it a bit different. Also, most of what I've gotten there were Montis, so again a bit different. But, they always seem to have good sized SPS for good prices. :-)

Didn't mean to slam the power-buy, sorry if it seemed like I was. Didn't see the other post on the ASMAS forum.

-(the other) Chris

Mafiaman
09/11/2004, 09:34 AM
If MF offers these great values I'm glade you posted, Other people should be made aware of where the values are so we can all get the most bang for the buck.

I didn't feel the buy was being slamed, I felt stupid for paying so much when better values are out there!

I have been to MF and have gotten a few pieces, And I do remember they seemed to be a deal! I recomend them.

Chris (also again)

dfitzz
09/11/2004, 09:50 AM
Do you know if they are aquacultered or wild colonies ? Either way I'd be in for 2 (running out of room)

dfitzz
09/11/2004, 09:51 AM
Also I've gotten ORA frags at MF for a good price, $30-40 if I remember correctly

Mafiaman
09/12/2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by dfitzz
Do you know if they are aquacultered or wild colonies ? Either way I'd be in for 2 (running out of room)

Pretty sure they are wild.

reggie060
09/14/2004, 09:14 PM
missed the 1st meeting(out of town) but I'm in on this buy if it goes on!! Reggie

reef-fossil
09/16/2004, 03:41 PM
Any chance this will happen again in the near future? I'm "on call" that weekend and know I'll be at work. Also am battling a bit of a Ca issue, so in a sense it's good that I didn't get everything possible, but would like to participate if it happens again (soon). Do you think this (SPS) buy might happen again, or is the group moving on to some other power buy and it's a one-time deal? Maybe it depends on the success / interest?

Sorry, I'm 0 for 2. And I thought Tuesdays were bad days.

Sorry guys,
Chris (the other one)

Mafiaman
09/16/2004, 03:47 PM
Judging buy the imput we are getting group buys will be a regular thing. when and where is not in the works yet.

Chris ( this one)