PDA

View Full Version : another sand question...

CJK
10/26/2001, 01:32 PM
Has anybody ever used the "Quick Crete Commercial Grade Sand"? It comes in 100 lb. bags in different grain sizes (fine, medium etc.). Also, has anyone ever used "Play Sand"? I can't remember who makes it, but you can get it at Toys R Us and Home Depot. It's not the SD sand, it's more brown than that. It says it's prewashed and all of that stuff since it's for kids.
Thanks,
Chris :)

MIKE
10/26/2001, 01:36 PM
Hi Chris,

I've always been a bit wary of silica based sands. I know some swear it's not a problem, but I've experienced diatom problems when using these types sands. Personally, I've stuck to the calcarious substrates to avoid the possibility of a problem.

Good luck
Mike

SciGuy2
10/29/2001, 12:45 PM
Quartz sand and has never caused me problems. Another reefer on the board said that some local sands have more than a trace of feldspars in addition to the quartz. Feldspars have such a complex chemistry that only God fully knows what happens in a tank, but I've never seen them cause problems. I have looked critically at sand in at least 10 states and would honestly say that unless the sand looks weird or has a lot of black flecks in it that it would work fine in your tank. By weird I mean a very strange color or the dust stains your hands, etc.

Every tank experiences diatom blooms, even those that use SouthDown. Diatoms are a part of life in a SW aquarium, and they are easily taken care of by snails, etc.

By the way, the silica in quartz sand is nearly insoluable in the pHs, and other conditions of our tanks.

Hope this helps,
-Sci

CJK
10/29/2001, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the replies I going to use the "Quick Crete Commercial Grade Sand" in the in sump refugem to build up a 6" sand bed instead of the main tank. I like the look of the white sand but not the thickness.

Thanks,
chris