PDA

View Full Version : How to start an overflow...

GH Sniper
10/26/2001, 08:02 AM
I finally decided that the backpack isn't doing a good enought job so I am installing a sump. I know that I am doing it right though because I decided to review several threads here for recommended equipment. Here is what I determined to do for my 30G tall:

Total of 3 x 65W PC Lights ( blue atinics and white 88K bulb)

Berlin Classic with Mag 5 pump

Overflow (not sure what brand) [description: it is black with two tubes. If one gets blocked the other one then drains. It was recommended to flow at least 500 GPH for proper operation]

Mag 7 for return (about a 3' head with connections factored in)

Now the question, I have almost no space below the tank (13 inches off the floor). I will be placing the sump off to the side in a food safe Rubbermaid tote. It will be about 2 feet off to the side and everything angled. Should I get a more powerful return for the extra distance and then factor in the connections? Will my Berlin work just OK with the Mag 5 or will it pull stuff pretty good?

I need to get the stuff today so any help would be apprecieated.

GH Sniper
10/26/2001, 08:03 AM
OBTW- I forgot to ask, how do I start the overflow?

dattack
10/26/2001, 08:23 AM
I don't know what brand you have or if your overflow is selfpriming but I need to use a small airline tubing to suck up all the air in the U tube. Gotta make sure that the water level in the inner and outside box is higher than the level of the ends of the U tube so that you can create a siphon.
Turn on your mag then the water overflows to the inner box and filling that up and your set.

botp2k1
10/29/2001, 11:33 AM
Sniper, if it is a U tube, do this.

Cut two square shaped saran wrap for covering the U tube openings.

Fill the outside and inside of overflow box with tank water.

Dip U tube in tank so water fills end to end of the tube.

Cover each end with a square of saran wrap, lift out the tube from the tank, flip and place over in the overflow box.

Remove the squares of saran wrap.

Start pump, sit back, and watch the tank.

gas4544
10/29/2001, 12:12 PM
After I clean my U-tube, I use the air-line method described above to restart the flow.

Insert a piece of flexible airline into the U-tube with one end at the top of the "U". Add water to both the inner and outer boxes on the overflow so that both ends of the U-tube will be submerged under the water. Place the U-tube in its normal operating position, then suck the air out of the U-tube. You're probably gonna get a taste of your aquarium water doing this. Then start up the sump pump and watch to make sure the water starts flowing from the tank down to the sump.

My U-tube is exposed to light, so I get algae growing inside the U-tube. I clean my U-tube about once every two months so that the flow throught the tube is smooth and continuous.