PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Numbers?

dghall
10/25/2001, 10:18 AM
Ok...I'm fairly new to the hobby so I don't know if I'm alone in my agony or not but...I love fish. I want them all. Every time I go to the LFS I tell myself I'm going just to look, but always winding up coming home with a FISH. So my question is...how many fish can my 55G tank support. I have read during my research that stocking levels are much higher than they used to be due to the use of LR as a biological filter rather than a wet/dry, bio-wheel, etc. So...current inhabitants are:

2 False Percs
1 Regal Tang
1 Pearly Jawfish
1 Foxface
Various Inverts (hermits/snails)
~95# LR

So...am I maxed out? Everyone seems to be happy and swimming around and "working and playing well with others". I still want to get a Flame Angel. I know I have a problem...I need to be in a FLA (Fish Lovers Anonymous) class or something, but I can't help it. Most marine fish are just so beautiful. I see a new and much LARGER tank in my future, but I need some stocking advice for the tank I currently own. Thanks in advance.

mr294
10/25/2001, 11:05 AM
i would say that youre pretty much maxed out. the tang and foxface are going to have to come out of their eventually too. all the more reason to get a bigger tank right ? :D if you found a home for the tang you could put a couple smaller fish in his place. HTH

brandon

ByTor
10/25/2001, 11:39 AM
I agree with Brandon, your currently maxed out..I personally wouldn't push the bioload any further...BTW how old is this system? and what is your current Nitrate level?? The Tang and the foxface will grow pretty fast for you.. IMO I would keep what you have now, and get started on planning a larger system:D Yes this hobby can be very addictive, but we always have to look out for the best interest of the animals we are keeping..IMO That is always the first priority!!
Any other questions DG feel free to ask:) That's what we are here for :D

Mr Nasty
10/25/2001, 12:04 PM
Your maxed....Heed the 3 most important rules of fish keeping.

1. Fish die
2. You cannot change rule number one.
3. You always think you need a bigger tank (and you usually do)

goby
10/26/2001, 12:09 PM
hey,

I want to tell you my number one rule about adding fish :

If you ask if you are overstocked, you probably are

And the obvious variation :

if you ask if you can add more, you probably cannot.

not to be mean, or harsh, but those are the cold hard facts. I personally dont thing you are overloaded, but you will be when you tang and foxface get bigger. Also bear in mind, that a clown in the wild, would have something like 500gallons of "territory" so its not just a balancing act with your filter, but a territory war as well.

hope it helps!

g

OodleyBoodely
10/28/2001, 06:01 PM
From one fish-aholic to another. STAY OUT OF THE LFS! :D :D

fade2black
10/28/2001, 07:02 PM
Do this......before you go to the LFS, take all the money and credit cards out of your wallet. Then you won't have any way to buy moer fish :)

- Fade

dghall
10/29/2001, 10:27 AM
Fade...

Sounds great, unfortunately the LFS knows me enough to "put it on my tab" so to speak, and the settle up later. :D I just need to avoid all LFS's until I go in to buy a bigger tank (150G). Thanks for the tip though.

Dave