PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy tank

alf3482
10/25/2001, 09:38 AM
Okay i have been helping some one with there tank. All problems fixed except for a cloud in the tank. The sand bed has been in for 3 months maybe 4. all parameters are in order. Have been running carbon two weeks to try and clear the water with no luck.
We are not disturbing the sand at all. You can see the tank from front to back 18". But from side to side 48" you can see about 24" into the tank. Any solutions to this problem???:(
Thanks

Brad Ward
10/26/2001, 09:05 AM
Alf,

Have you tried a mechanical filter like a HOT Magnum or a micron filter? If it is indeed a dust problem, this will remove it.

hth,

Brad

alf3482
10/26/2001, 09:21 AM
No we have not used any mech. filtration. I have never used any my self, on a reef tank. I will make that suggestion. Thanks

Brad Ward
10/26/2001, 10:45 AM
No problem.

I use a filter housing that they sell at HD , Lowes, ect. that they sell for under the counter water filters. I just get the pleated filter. Some folks already have one. I attach a hose barb fitting with siphon hose to the input and place the filter in the sump and start the siphon. Depending on the amount of sediment in the water that you have will determine how often you have to rinse and replace it. If you don't have a sump, attach a pump to the siphon hose and use it like a power filter. Besure the suction has a grate of some kind for any fishes safety:eek:

hth,

Brad

alf3482
10/26/2001, 01:42 PM
Okee dokee! he has a sump. I just never use a mech. filter at all. thanks for the advice i will pass it a long. Thanks again