PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Frances

redfernsoljah
08/31/2004, 03:55 PM
Be prepared many down south have had tanks crash due to charlie. Best iideas I have seen is a deep cycle battery and an invertor to just run a small wattage powerhead to keep circulation and flow. We should also get up an emergencty list of those in the area. This would allow those with power to temporarily help those that might be without for a length of time. Keep yourselfs updated and again be preapred early. Good luck to all!

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/strm6_strike_720x486.jpg

redfernsoljah
08/31/2004, 08:45 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/312053W5.gif

candide
09/01/2004, 08:37 AM
I'm in the unfortunate situation of being flown to phili or chicago if a hurricane watch is issued and it looks reasonable that the storm will hit us. Right now I'm prepared to leave this Friday, but hopefully (selfishly) the storm will continue to aim elsewhere as it does now.

If I do have to leave, my wife is coming with me this time. I have a largish ups running my returns, and overflow box will be raised to just under the waterline to prevent any flooding should the power go out for an extended time.

My big concern right now is getting some oxygen into the tank. I'm rather new to this (few months), but I've heard of airstones? How do these work?

Also, is there some sort of method I could setup to feed the tank other than one of the auto timer feeder things?

I'm trying to find out which of my friends and family would stay to help out some, I have ice packs and what not if the temp starts to rise. But would like to make this as painless as possible.

Jason

redfernsoljah
09/01/2004, 12:21 PM
I have seen people using a battery powered airpump you should be aldy to get at a pet store. If you would rather use your ups get a small airpump and stone and that should help. Just make sure that you other items are not running off the ups or you will be limited to only a few hours of run time at best.