PDA

View Full Version : B. rotundiformis vs. B. plicatilis

NicoleC
08/31/2004, 01:35 PM
Anthony,

I asked Dr. Shimek, but he didn't know, so I thought I would check with you:

Is there some way for a layman to tell the difference between Brachionus plicatilis ("L") and Brachionus rotundiformis ("S")? I started a culture of "S", but they look awfully big for my fry to eat. Maybe the source (a local who cultures) was incorrect on the species?

I don't have a microscope yet, but I plan of trying to find one tonight.

Anthony Calfo
08/31/2004, 01:44 PM
Cheers, Nicole

Sorry I cannot help you here, my friend... this is truly not my area of expertise and yet Dr. Ron is extremely knowledgeable about microcrustaceans among many things. He was the proper first choise to turn to. Without a microscope and even then with at this point, hmmm...

Do turn to the university folks working with this/these such rotis. ( A quick keyword search turned up several at a glance on my engine).

I'm reminded of my dear friend Bob Fenner studying and staring at polychaete mouth aspects as a grad student. Woohoo... party! Er, somethign like that. :D

Somebody, somewhere indeed knows these critters intimately I suspect :)

best of luck!

Anthony

NicoleC
08/31/2004, 01:55 PM
No doubt some poor grad student is going blind over it, but my ID need is more urgent for these little guys to survive. Ah well, I will just have to cross my fingers for this batch of unexpectedly available fry and hope the food is the correct size. (I also ordered some small mixed plankton from the very helpful Paul Sachs since he was out of parameciums... just improving the odds.)

When I decide to raise them on purpose, I'll be sure to get a batch of cysts from a 100% proven S-strain culture. I'm just sad to see my surprise hatchlings maybe going hungry.

Thanks,
Nicole