PDA

View Full Version : Hello

cheesner
08/30/2004, 10:04 AM
Long time enthusiast first time participator.

I have kept a small salt water tank for several years and have decided to take the plunge into the reef aquariums, something I have thought about for years. I am pleased to see so many people into the hobby in the Las Vegas area.

I am a few weeks away from having the space at my house for a 100 gal tank (or so) and I am still in the planning stages. I have a few questions regarding the local resources:

What aquarium stores in town do people like, for livestock, supplies, or equipment? (if you work at the particular shop you are recommending, please state so)

I would like to buy an existing system (try it out the hobby before sink alot of money into it). Anyone know of a setup that will be available?

Where would you look, or not look, for a system, (RJ, ebay, etc.)?

Is there a good source of Live Rock in town?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dan

orionsmamma
08/30/2004, 11:36 AM
Welcome Dan!

As far as local LFS, I'm really not too hot on any of them. There is a thread on our club forum about LFS, you may want to do a search on it.

There are frequently "complete" reef systems for sale in the RJ. That may be a good place to look.

The cheapest place to get live rock would be from this place: http://lvmas.org/lvaquariasociety/lfs/aquascapesltd.htm
His price list is a little out dated, so you should probably call him. I have not done buisness with him though.

Oh, and you missed a great meeting yesterday! I hope to see you at the next one!

opihi
08/30/2004, 12:21 PM
Hey Dan,
Welcome! I prefer to purchase my equipment online when possible.

as for LR, i personally feel like a drive to jeff's exotic fish (exoticfish.com) in LA is worth it. you get to pick your own LR & the prices and selection are unbeatable locally.

besides the RJ classifieds, you can also try lasvegas.craiglist.org, they have occasional listing.

EvilInSin
08/30/2004, 12:45 PM
Just wanted to say HI! and welcome!

I also do most of my purchases of equipment on line. LR I buy all over the place. I got most on line, then I went from store to store to get shapes I liked.
GVA has aquacultured and nice picks to select from. is about 10$ lb
ATM 1 has Marchal island uncured also nice to pick from and is about 9$ lb.

Tropical expressions has some I dont know what is called but maybe tonga branch cause thats what looks like. about 6$ a lb.

Those are the only ones I would bother with in store. Be warned tho none of the stores have rock that looks like tbs or crawling with live stuff.

I know that the rock from Gary (sorry if I got the wrong name!) in Donna's post is a great price! and he goes to CA to get it for you. I just havent seen the rock it self yet.

I hope this helps! and hope to see you at a meeting in the furture!

desert_reefer
08/30/2004, 01:55 PM
Welcome! I sent you a PM about a tank.
Jeff

the Undone guy
08/30/2004, 03:44 PM
i believe that GVA gets their rock from TBS....

i got my rock from premiumaquatics.com lots of keleni and marshall, i love it. I got it uncured and its going on 2+ months and its crawling with life.

TippyToeX
08/30/2004, 04:04 PM
Cheesner
[welcome]

So glad to have you in our forum and on Reef Central. :)

Not much more to add than what everyone has said above. They are just faster than me now a days. :D

I hope you will stick around our forum and make it to one of our up coming meetings.

Amy

cheesner
08/30/2004, 07:03 PM
It is good to see such an enthusiastic and helpful community here.

Thanks for all of your responses, I am really looking forward to getting my first reef tank. I have several books I have been reading thoroughly, but there is only so much you can get from books. An active local community will sure be a great resource.

Thanks again!

Nanighan
08/30/2004, 10:03 PM
Welcome to LVVR. We're a cheerful bunch:), enjoy.