PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Francis

gpajon
08/29/2004, 06:30 PM
Just a heads up.
Looks like we are going to have to deal with Francis in a few days.
I just hope we all take the propper precautions and be as safe as we can be.

chrisaggie
08/29/2004, 07:25 PM
This doesn't look good for Florida. I'm picking up my generator this week in preparation. It seems as though historically stors that are taking this one's path have gone a good bit North of Miami, but who knows. Anyone with a reef tank should at least go by Walmart and pick up a battery powered air pump.

H_Bomb
08/30/2004, 07:38 AM
I know, here we go again. Next tank I will have a generator that will power the tank and the house. Lets cross our fingers.:(

scubadude
08/30/2004, 12:13 PM
fill bathtub(s) with water, can be used for drinking or flushing toilets
get batterys, flashlights, lanterns, toilet paper
canned foods or foods that dont perish as easily
Generators, make sure they are not near your open windows of your house, as the fumes from the exhaust can enter house and cause carbon monoxide poisoning
Generators part two, you can wire a large generator straight to your breaker box but consult an electrician or someone qualified to do so. This may save you from having to get LOTS of extension cords
First aid kit, and a bunch of emergency numbers on hand
have a couple of places lined up for shelters if your house is questionable
have your vehicles FULL of gas, and you can start filling large gas cans with gas now to help
get as much cash as you can out of the bank
have your insurance policy on hand in a safe place
find the most structurally sound place in your house and use mattress to pad under and over you during the heat of the storm
FEMA's toll free number is 1-800-621-FEMA
My cell phone (nextel) service worked immediately after charley so a Cell phone charged is a great idea
KEEP the faith, the one thing I have gotten out of Charley was the sense of togetherness that the community (as well as non locals) have offered support

These are just a few of them that come to mind...hope this helps some1

Rocky

FragGuy
08/30/2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks Dude for the tips. I just hope we don't have to use them. But better to be prepared.

Gon, Does your HD have any Generators or DC inverters left?

gpajon
08/30/2004, 03:36 PM
We sold out of all of them today, but we are getting about 30 tomorrow and thats all. Stuff is flying. We are almost out of water, charcoal, grills, we got a truck of tarps today and getting more batteries and flashlights tonight.

Flamehawk
08/30/2004, 07:18 PM
Yep, we got our generator yesterday at Sears. Better safe than sorry and we can always take it back.
Hopefully, all Ã?'ll get out of hurricane Francis is some good surfing. Supposed to be 2x overhead. ;]

Hang tight!
FishAffair

gpajon
08/30/2004, 08:40 PM
Johnny you surf?
Now that is something i never expected.
Surfer chino!

scubadude
08/31/2004, 01:04 AM
Rafael

I have 2 generators on hand if you want to borrow one let me know

FragGuy
08/31/2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks Rocky, I really appreciate the offer.

BAJA272
08/31/2004, 01:14 PM
We live in Cape Coral and were without power for six days. Our generator powered our pumps but because of line noise it would not run the chiller. Three days after the storm came thru we bought a small window air conditioner ($88.00) for our bedroom and this dropped the tank temp by seven degrees. The back of the tank is exposed to our bedroom and we ran a small desk fan on the surface and left all the lights off for the week. The bedroom door was kept closed and provided much needed rest (roof repair and substantial tree damage needed to be picked up, thank God we had a chain saw) We only lost a blue carpet anomie. The eye passed eight miles from our home and was a little scary due to the sudden change to a category four at the last second. People have lost a tremendous amount in our area. I hope none of you have to go thru this. I am a second generation floridian (born and raised in Hollywood Fl.) and remember my Father and Grandfathers stories of the 1926 hurricanes and saw the devastation of hurricane andrew (looks the same in charlotte county and the north end of our city. Be especially careful about the carbonmonoxide from the generators exhaust. we have pulled several families from there homes and had one death from it. Good luck to all of us and hopefully the storm will turn out to sea...

Jeff

FragGuy
08/31/2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks Jeff. We are hopefull too.

gpajon
08/31/2004, 05:45 PM
Well looks like getting a new generator is going to be very hard at this point. I recieved 48 this morning and people were pulling them off the pallet as I wheeled it to where we were selling them.

Treeman
08/31/2004, 08:57 PM
And they will return them in 2 days.:)

chrisaggie
08/31/2004, 09:25 PM
Yup, all those new generators go out and most will return :)

saltwaterfishlover
08/31/2004, 09:32 PM
I had to use my generator for Charlie 2 weeks ago lost power for 20hrs. best investment I made up north and glad I brought it in the move....hopefully wont need it this weekend...pray pray pray....

"Lighten up Francis"

gpajon
08/31/2004, 11:40 PM
Actually I would say that less than 10% of them come back. There are some people who bought 2 and those are most likely the ones that return them.I was told today that we will not take back any generator that has had gas in the tank unless it is defective of course.
I on the other hand can't get my old generator to fire. Gonna take er apart tomorrow and see what I can do.

gpajon
09/01/2004, 11:54 PM
12:50 and I just got home from work at the depot and after 6 trucks of lumber (anything they could send us) and 16 hours of hard work (with a couple run ins with impatient and nonunderstanding customers), it seems most folks are taking this serious.

Flamehawk
09/02/2004, 09:34 AM
Good luck everyone, hope everyone and your fish make it through alright! If anything, hold onto a palm tree. ;]

FishAffair

Treeman
09/02/2004, 02:06 PM
Yep, everybody seems serious. If anybody needs anything let me know.

LawnTodd
09/02/2004, 06:23 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/31751P9020002.JPG

I'll take a blizzard over a hurricane anyday!

doRee
09/03/2004, 10:38 PM
Although I do not live there now (used to) some of my family does and I am praying for "ALL" of you out there in Florida. I hope you all stay safe and take all the precautions to be safe. God Bless you "ALL", my prayers are with you.

-Desiree'