PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

bschroller
08/29/2004, 06:21 PM
Hello everyone
I just wanted to take a little time to introduce myself. My name is Brandi. I am 23 years old. I just recently became interested in saltwater tanks. I have a 30 gallon tank, with one clownfish, two pepriment (sp) shrimp, and two chromis. Because I am new to sw tanks, I have not ventured into coral or live rock. I am currently living in the Hampton area. I have been in VA about nine months now and haven't really met anyone. I was hoping to find people with the same interests. Well, I am sure that is enough about me, if anyone has some free time and want to respond to this thread to introduce yourself, please feel free to. Hope to hear from yall soon.

mylittleocean
08/29/2004, 07:58 PM
Hi Brandi,
I am 30 in nieghboring NC. I have a 75 gal tank w/ corals. Soon to be 180 gallons. I wasnt able to make the last meeting but more will follow. I hope to see you at one of the meets. Any questions just ask. We will be glad to help.

waterlily
08/29/2004, 08:40 PM
Hi! I'm Kathy and am 35 years old. I've lived in Chesapeake for 15 years now. I've been into SW aquarium keeping for four years, with only 8 months of it reef. I've got a 29 gallon with all sorts of critters.

We had a great meeting yesterday. Everyone is so friendly and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. I will host next month's meeting, date and time undecided right now.

Gamefightr
08/29/2004, 09:24 PM
how are you keeping anything alive without live rock? u must have one heck of a filter.

btw im steven, friends call me sketchy. college student, dj, some production work. 90 gallon tank which is for sale. live in virginia beach. welcome

Amber Nussbaum
08/29/2004, 11:13 PM
Steven.. it is possible to have a healthy SW tank without live rock. Don't pick on the new person!

Hey Brandi- great to hear from you. We should get together sometime outside of the reef meetings and just hang out, go look at fish, check out a bookstore, whatever. What kind of stuff are you into?

See ya!
Amber

bschroller
08/30/2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies. To answer some of the questions. My fish seem to be doing great without the live rock. I am waiting for my chance to add more stuff in, and when that comes up, I am going to put some live rock in. There is this certain fish (that I can remember the name now) that feeds off of the little bugs that the live rock produces. I feel silly talking about these little bugs, because I can't remember what they are called! Amber, I think that would be cool to get together, if you want. I enjoy reading, scrapbooking, rollerblading, bowling (I can never get anyone to go though), and of course watching my fish interact in my tank. I am sure there is more stuff I am interested in, but can't think of them now.

ahill
08/30/2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by waterlily
Hi! I'm Kathy and am 35 years old. I've lived in Chesapeake for 15 years now. I've been into SW aquarium keeping for four years, with only 8 months of it reef. I've got a 29 gallon with all sorts of critters.

We had a great meeting yesterday. Everyone is so friendly and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. I will host next month's meeting, date and time undecided right now.

Hopefully before the weekend of the 24th!

Hey Brandi!

And hey Gameftr you can keep a fish only tank up with only a few bio-wheels if you really wanted to.

Gamefightr
08/30/2004, 04:40 PM
And hey Gameftr you can keep a fish only tank up with only a few bio-wheels if you really wanted to.

i have never seen this done in person. im skeptical as to its truth because i have trouble regulating ammonia in a 90 gallon with live rock and a sump, and im not at all new to water chemistry, but im glad its working for her.

burke757
08/30/2004, 05:15 PM
Welcome to our little group, Brandi.

My name is Randy and I am 30- yikes first time I have had to write that. I live in norfolk and have a 75 reef and a soon to be 125 fowlr. if you need anything or have any questions let me know. I probably can't answer them, but ask anyway :) And I can sell you two yellow tail damsels really cheap! :)

And yes, bioballs or a biowheel will keep fish alive, by themselves, without liverock. i have done it and it make perfect sense. the only drawback is that nitrates can get high. but that does not usually bother fish. if you have problems with ammonia, you may want to try adding some bioballs or a biowheel.

ahill
08/30/2004, 07:43 PM
My old 30 gal (fish only) had bio wheels :)

If your using bio wheels on your 90 gal I would bet you dont have enough flow/surface area to keep it in check.

gregvabch
09/02/2004, 02:01 AM
hi brandi my name is greg, i'm 25 and living in virginia beach. right now i've got a 20 long and a 55, both of which i'm getting ready to move into my new apartment this weekend into a pre-drilled 75, (yes i'm finally transferring into the 75 for those of you who know what i'm talking about).

the little bugs you are talking about are copepods and the fish you like is probably a mandarin goby. mandarin's need to be in a tank with lots of very well established live rock because they depend primarily on those little bugs to survive and usually will not accept frozen, freeze dried, or flake foods.

Hope you are enjoying the area and if you're bored you can help me move my tank this weekend!! I'll be providing the beer :D
Greg