PDA

View Full Version : high ph with halide acclimation

boofer
08/29/2004, 05:54 PM
Ive noticed my ph is getting as high as 8.5 at the end of the 4 hrs Im running my halides now. is that normal? Im assuming theres more photosynthesis going on now and will taper down over time..is this right? do I need to be worried about it or just keep an eye on it... thx Dustin

fishdoc11
08/29/2004, 06:57 PM
It's normal for it to go up during the day but 8.5 is a little high IMO. You might need to cut back a little on your kalk use.
Chris

gflat65
08/29/2004, 09:12 PM
I agree. I haven't been able to get my pH over 8.1, regardless of what I use (of course 8.1 is okay), making me think it is probably the kalk, too.

boofer
08/29/2004, 11:17 PM
thx guys, it could be that...my ph was a normal 8.3 tonight after lights out so that makes me think so to. I've been doing the slurry 2 times a day the last 2 weeks or so cause my cal dropped to 400 just doing it once a day...I very well could have gotten a lttle heavy on it the night before it was 8.5 (im dosing 1/4tsp 2X a day with a 1/2tsp measuring spoon so I have some f'up room there :)...ill keep an eye on it just to be sure

fishdoc11
08/30/2004, 07:43 AM
I would go back to dosing in the AM. That evening dosing could be what's pushing it up. You also might buy some sort of calcium by itself, no buffer, I use Kent, to throw in there a couple times a week. As I'm sure you know 400 is really fine. NSW is about 410.
Chris

boofer
08/31/2004, 09:12 PM
yeah Chris I use Seachem (dry) calcium once a week in a gal. of top-off...reef builder (dry) every other time. 450 ca is where Ive been for so long I just like to keep it there, I get nervous when it starts to drop, I had a bad xp long time ago. My alk stays at 3meq/l with me topping off about a gal. every other day of the builder. I wouldnt mind that more towards 5meq/l but havnt bumped it up yet.
I jumped the gun thinking it was the halides (photosynthesis) causing the ph swing... it hasnt gone above 8.3 since...it probably helped I finally bought a 1/4 tsp to measure with :) ...think I just got heavy handed on it one night/day ...kinda freaked me out seeing it that high

fishdoc11
08/31/2004, 09:38 PM
Glad you figured it out. FWIW an alk of 3meq/L is pretty good. That's pretty close to NSW(~8dKH). I have heard of people's tanks doing great with a high alk for a while and then crashing. IMO 5 meq/L is way too high. Also several people here on RC have stopped RTN and STN reducing their alk from higher(>11) #'s. 8 to 11dKH(at the highest) seems to be a good range. Some of the German aquarists are even keeping theirs at 6-8dKH now. Mine used to stay at about 3 meq/L but it's up closer to 3.7 meq/L now that I am dosing kalk 24/7 with my topoff.
Chris

boofer
08/31/2004, 10:13 PM
thats weird cause mine dropped since using limewater...it was 4-4.5 using Garfs method of additives..caps of reef complete,reef calcium,reef plus...reef builder, reef calcium in top-off...wonder why? I knew 3meq/l was fine but there again change in my parameters scares me..but it hasnt budged from 3 since starting limewater so Im not too worried about it. will leave it be unless it drops of course...thx Dustin

cee
09/01/2004, 05:36 AM
Are you sure the reading is correct? Are you running electronic ballasts? On my system, when the e-ballasts are on, the electromagnetic noise generated by the ballasts severely affects the pH monitor and causes the readings to be inaccurate. The pH probe only generates about 37 mV for each 1 point change in pH above 7, so it is very susceptable to any stray electrical signals.

Dave

fishdoc11
09/01/2004, 06:52 AM
Dustin,
It may be the two part along with the limewater that's pushed mine up. Plus I'm dosing 24/7, so I'm dosing more kalk than you are.
Dave,
Interesting about the pH meter.
Chris

boofer
09/01/2004, 10:23 AM
Dave, Im running SLS HQI magnetic ballast...definitely interesting about the interferance with the ph monitors and electronics. the tv interference is what kept me away from the electronic. no cable on my road yet, so just the antenna still. my wife would kill me if the tank interfered (in her words) anymore than it already does.
Chris, thats probably why then....Im basically just riding the wave at this point seeing where I end up..... thx Dustin