PDA

View Full Version : Frags from the last meeting

Melinda
10/23/2001, 05:57 PM
Hi Everyone!

Most of the frags I got at the last meeting are doing really well. Even the Pulsing Xenia that Steve just scraped off his glass is now attached to LR and pulsing, even dividing!

My one problem frag is the colt I got from Hal. I can't get the darn thing to attach. :sad1: I tried sitting it in a PVC pipe with a piece of LR, I tried superglue, I tried spearing it with a toothpick and rubberbanding the toothpick to some LR (this from suggestions on Reef Central). It keeps detaching itself. The poor thing is falling apart!

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks,
Melinda

ojreef
10/23/2001, 07:14 PM
Hi Melinda,

I went thru the same problems as you. Then I learned at our first meeting a quick, easy, sure-fire way.

Get a net shower ball. You know, the ones that look like a scrunched up ball of bridal vail netting that you use when you take a shower.

Pull it apart and cut it into 1/2" to 1" strip that is long enough to go around the rock, the Colt and tie a not.

Take the Colt out of the tank, lay it on a towel for a couple of minets, to let it discharge some of its juices. Then lay the Coral on the rock, wrap the netting arond Coral and rock, tie a knot on TOP of the coral and put it back in the tank. Give it a week or so and it will be stuck to the rock. No falling off, spliting etc. like the other methods.

GOOD LUCK,

Melinda
10/23/2001, 08:29 PM
Hal,

Thanks, you told me that at the last meeting and I just forgot. Sorry. I don't have any netting in the house, but will get some asap. I hope to have good news at the next meeting!

Thanks!
Melinda

FishGeeek
10/30/2001, 10:18 AM
Hi Melinda

Any updates? How is the frag doing?

Brian

Melinda
10/30/2001, 01:59 PM
I tried Hal's idea with the netting. I left it a week before taking off the netting. It had split into even smaller pieces. Right now it is pretty small. I am concerned that if I mess with it any more I will not have any left! Right now it is floating around the bottom of the tank not attached to anything, and looking surprisingly healthy! The polyps are out! I can't figure it out.

Any more suggestions of how I can make this colt frag stay in one place without it disintegrating further?

Thanks,
Melinda

SeaMatt Nematocyt
10/30/2001, 02:37 PM
Just let it float around and tell your friends you got a new fish...

I never used Glue or toothpicks or netting before although I am going to experiment with those techniques.
I like Zip Ties.
Get a rock sizeable for mounting on, take your leather or whatever, and zip tie it on there. It should be tight enough to prevent slipping, but loose enough not to simulate pedal laceration.

Give it a rip and see what happens.

-Matt