PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Q #1: What is the actual purpose of a sump?

anathema
10/23/2001, 03:22 PM
Ok, I know a refugium is for growing pods, plants and etc. I also know the sump makes a good place to put skimmer/heater/ etc.

Is there another purpose of a sump though?

Do you put sand bed in it and call it and extra DSB filter? Or does it just hold equipment and flow water through it? Should you light it? Can I put it in my entertainment center over the TV? :D this is a joke guys, it will be under my tank! Why do it at all?

I'm just curious, since I already have my drilled tank to set up, I will have one. I just thought I should probably know what it's for before I build one.

:)

tyoberg
10/23/2001, 03:41 PM
sumps serves as:
house for unsightly equipment
jail for misbehaving critters
extra water volume (dilution is the solution)
a place to put even more LR/DSB
a place to drip kalk into

Add lights and some macro algae:
refugium for growing additional pods and amphipods
even more Nitrate/nutrient export!

Lots of benefits!

Ty

ByTor
10/23/2001, 03:41 PM
well you covered a good bit of the Y's except for one very important one ...More water volume!!! Yes you can add a DSB to it also... makes for more natural filtration.. you can leave it in the dark and tons of worms and sponges will grow in it ..or light it and have a refuge...the bit with the TV and water :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: I personally wouldn't wanna try that!! any more stupid questions??? fire away!!!! that's what we are here for..... :D

Skipper
10/23/2001, 03:46 PM
Hey anathema.
A sump has several benefits, and you mention one:
"the sump makes a good place to put skimmer/heater/ etc."

Check out Larry Maras' (http://www.northernreef.org/sumps101.htm) site on sumps. He lists in the second paragraph the benefits. You will also find some useful tips there on building a sump. Some folks create their refugiums in the sump and hence have a sand bed as well as some caulerpa and lighting. A refugium can be located over your TV, if you want it there. Here (http://reefsite.homestead.com/refugium.html) is one I made. I located it in my equipment closet which is quite some distance from the tank. HTH

anathema
10/23/2001, 04:28 PM
I appreciate it, I just wanted to make sure I had all the info before I started designing. BTW, I expected a resounding NO! on the over the TV joke. :lol2:

Fishrat
10/23/2001, 04:37 PM
anathema,

Just forget about your TV and entertainment center all together. In fact, sell them and buy more reef stuff. In a few short months you'll be spending all your time in front of your tank and forget you own a tv, wife, kids, etc.....
:D

anathema
10/23/2001, 05:08 PM
"I wish I was a fish tank."

becka
10/23/2001, 06:02 PM
TV? what is that?

no really... don't have any clue as to what you guys are talking about! :) they only time I get to watch TV is when I am at work. And I am on this site too! ;)

JerryReef
10/23/2001, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by anathema
Quoting my girlfriend:
"I wish I was a fish tank."

That is the key to all your problems, as once you’ve taken care of that issue, everything will fall into place naturally :D

And, if I might add; Increasing the water volume with a sump and refugium (apart from the other goodies) is also key in maintaining the desired reef ecosystem.

I have also been advised that most beginners make the mistake of starting with a small tank. Get the largest that you can afford, as it is more difficult to maintain the ecosystem at a constant with smaller tanks.

Jerry

Phillstone
10/23/2001, 07:57 PM
A sump is a great place for adding top-off water, buffers, kalk , or anything you want mixed in before hitting the main tank, less stress on the animals that way. Also with a sump your main tank water level never changes ( unless you have a surge device) so less cleaning the dryed gunk off the glass.

Phill