PDA

View Full Version : The chicken or the egg?

SHOmuchFUN
08/27/2004, 09:58 AM
What comes first?
The Aquacontroller or the Calcium Reactor?

I'm really tired of dosing my supplements for levels that aren't even right. I can't keep my kalk up and I don't even know what my calcium is (I don't have a calcium test kit). I tested alk the other night and it was somewhere around 6.5-7. I added some reef builder last night because of the piece I have coming today, but I had been dosing about 30ml of B-Ionic just about every morning that I could. It just doesn't seem to be maintaining my alkalinity levels.

Phishy business has a nice calcium reactor combo, but IS a bit pricey at $650. You do get a lot with it though:
http://www.phishybusiness.com/calcium.php?strFunc=item&strID=16

If I were to piece a system together for a GEO reactor at Premium Aquatics, it'd cost me $590 for the GEO 6"x12" and $660 for the 6"x18" unit (which phishybusiness offers for only $10 more).

But, got to thinking about a PH controller for the unit, and almost didn't want to spend $90 on a milwaukee controller that will probably eventually get replaced by an aquacontroller down the road.

I'm in more -need- of a calcium reactor than I am a controller right now, although I don't COMPLETELY need both. I'm just fed up with trying to maintain healthy levels in my tank... Although it does look very healthy right now with some minor adjustments to some equipment/plumbing I did last night.

Brad/Tom/Anybody... Let me know what you think.

SHOmuchFUN
08/27/2004, 10:22 AM
Also saw the reeftek unit for $209... Not a bad price, looks decent too.