PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop system

Cruiznblue
08/26/2004, 02:57 PM
Hey Anthony,

I recently got the priviledge to hear your presentation at the SCMAS meeting, followed by the frag swap. I was impressed to say the least.

Anyhow, you mentioned almost like a closed loop system where you had several outlets that were located around the top edge of the tank. Well you got me into it, now I just was hoping you could help me plan this a little smoother. :)

I have a 120g (4'x2'x2') tank, and was going to set it up as a closed loop would. Just needed some info on maybe how many outlets I should have on this size of a tank. Also, should I use 3/4" pvc and fittings? How much flow would it take to make it around this whole unit?

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice. This will be for a mixed reef, however I will look into more SPS corals now, after listening to your suggestions at the presentation. :)

Thanks a million
Josh

Cruiznblue
08/26/2004, 03:07 PM
I also sent you an email...so you you can void that. Might be better if others can take in some of this advice as well.

Anthony Calfo
08/26/2004, 03:50 PM
cheers, Josh... thanks very much for your kind words. I really had a blast last weekend in Cali too. Beautiful people, beautiful state and a beautiful hobby :)

Your 120gall is one of my all-time favorite tank sizes. Just wonderful for working in and very fine for this circulation loop too. Youll use either 1/2" pipe or 3/4" depending on the size of the feed/sump pump.

A 2400 - 3000 gph pump with say say six-eight tees would be a nice start/minimum. If you do not do a larger pump, then stick with 1/2 pipe for better velocity on the effluents.

Check out this link:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pbh2oret.htm

and do a keyword search here on the RC site for more example of these manifolds... some folks have been trying and working with this setup and sharing their experiences nicely.

do holler back if anything is unclear :)

with kind regards,

Anthony

This will ultimately require some experimentation (test in the garage if the tank is new/building)

Cruiznblue
08/26/2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks Anthony....will look into those!

Cruiznblue
08/27/2004, 06:24 PM
So how would a Dolphin Amp Master 3000 workout? It does 3000gph at 4', and I would plumb it to 8 outlets.

This will also be in my room, so not sure if this pump is gonna drive me nuts.

I appreciate your time Anthony!

Thanks
Josh

Anthony Calfo
08/27/2004, 09:17 PM
The total gph sounds fine to me (especially when/if supplemented by a a nice top mount Gemini/Tunze/etc type pump for the display)... but the total flow run through 8 nozzels is a bit light (just over 300gph even through a 1/2 tee/nozzle is weak). Rather than have less/stronger tees/nozzles on the manifold... Id rather see you use a slightly stronger pump.

This of course assumes you will be keeping corals that need moderate to strong water flow.

Like with lighting systems... you need to pick your dream list of corals and determine their needs first. Else, buying lights and pumps without a thought for the corals' needs is like putting the cart before the horse :D

do be specific in your coral groupings... try to keep with a theme if not a biotope or niche. Else the typical garden reef tank with a little bit of everything (LPS, SPS, zoanthids, corallimorphs, hamsters, smurfs, the kitchen sink... etc) is quite a challenge to run successfully long term (over 5 yrs). Besides... its unduly unnatural IMO.

Anthony