PDA

View Full Version : Fun having you over!

Salt Creep
08/26/2004, 02:35 AM
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for dropping by, always fun having folks over!

Just wanted to update you on the Pavona that had bare spots at the base... so far it hasn't been spreading and I'm hoping that it was just stung by the Condylactis when it moved around a bit. Either that or it's the live sand I got from a friend's tank!

Ken

Anthony Calfo
08/26/2004, 03:15 AM
cheers, Ken :)

thanks kindly for your hospitality.. and the accomodations for a visit with late notice!

I was really looking forward to visiting you again. Seeing your mini-reef in the last visit to Cali was truly inspiring. Your attention to detail, patience and appreciation for microscopic life forms is apparent. It was once of the best mini-reef aquariums I have ever seen!

Kudos to you :)

I look forward to seeing you again, my friend.

Anthony

Skipper
08/29/2004, 08:32 PM
I agree, Antoine! Would love to see it since the Tank of the Month feature:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/totm/index.htm

:D

Bring on de pics!!!!

Salt Creep
12/05/2004, 03:59 PM
Anthony,

Just an update on the big pavona... well, looks like you were right, and when I went on vacation I came back and the thing just loooked awful! Bare spots everywhere. I've fragged it but it seems even the frags kept going bare, and I finally just removed the entire colony from the main tank. Oh well, I did end up with more bare real estate that meant I could get more frags at the frag swap at Dave's.

Oddly enough only that particular colony was affected. What do you think it was? Even frags of it that started out healthy looking ended up the same way.

Ken

Anthony Calfo
12/13/2004, 09:55 PM
hey, Ken... sorry for the delay in reply my friend (was away travelling).

Very sorry to hear of your magnificent Pavona :( I don't recall the exact symptoms, but just that it looked "unwell" when I saw it last.

There are many possible reasons for it, but just guessing with my impression of your tank and scenario - your system is extremely packed. Too much so for most aquarists to succeed with in light of inevitable physical and chemical aggression between cnidarians. It has worked for you for so long I am sure because of your attentiveness and husbandry which I know to be above that of most hobbyists. But I wonder if a work or lifestyle change in recent months did not handicap the normal time and attention you could give? Less skimming/cleaning./.. less water changes... less carbon/chemical filtration use, etc? And/or... perhaps you have strayed towards collecting an accumulating number of especially noxious cnidarians like the oh-so-popular zoanthids?

Just some theories, all rooted in the conflict of your densely stocked aquarium. A precarious (albeit beautiful) and unnatural concentration of animals that is difficult to maintain indefinitely.

FWIW :)

Anthony