PDA

View Full Version : opinions on this ebay HOB fugium

loyalty
08/24/2004, 02:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3212&item=4320372123&rd=1

i've got a lil 29 gal, think this would be ok? there's not a lot of real estate under the stand, so i thought this might be a good option for me.

thoughts?

much thanks

coralreefing
08/24/2004, 09:40 AM
I think this is a DIY project in disguise. If this is the guy I think it is, you will recieve a pile of plexiglass pieces & some glue, to build it yourself. Theres a long thread about him somewhere on RC. I'll try to find it.

coralreefing
08/24/2004, 09:53 AM
I found it.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=302314&highlight=refugium+ebay

clr_27
08/24/2004, 10:03 AM
it does say assembly required

fishdoc11
08/24/2004, 09:10 PM
I would stay away from it. I tried to find the thread Chris foumd this morning. The guy is no good.
Chris

danieljames
08/25/2004, 02:54 AM
gotta love the advice here. Just saved you some serious headache imo. You don't wanna do the sump thing jer? Understandable if you don't. I ran a 125 sumpless....was very easy to take care of. There are pro's and con's of both. I think the larger you go system wise, the better a sump is. But like i said..i had a 125 sumpless, and i enjoyed it very much.

loyalty
08/25/2004, 03:08 AM
yeah i'm glad i posted here. (thanks to those that replied)

Daniel, I want to run a sump and a fuge, but the door on my stand is so small its hard to get anything in there. I'm still brainstorming. We've gotta meet up so you can see the set up and see if inspiration strikes you

danieljames
08/25/2004, 03:28 AM
How about to the side of your display? Did you see the pics of my sump? I have the display set up on a desk. Not usual...but works well. Do you have room for a sump on the side? The aesthetics of a display have never bothered me as long as they are functional and beneficial to your system. Its all about the display to me. Not whats around it. Some people are different though. They want "clean lines"..etc etc. Perhaps you could just fit one to the side....i prefer one that is easily accessable. To the side would be perfect. The easier it is to maintain...the more maintenance you will perform. That is more than true...believe me. I can remove/insert anything from my sump by just reaching in and pulling it out/putting it in.

coralreefing
08/25/2004, 09:46 AM
Reewic has a fuge to the side of his hex in a cabinet. I think he built the cabinet to match the stand & all the equipment is nicely concealed. Depending on how your stand is built, you may be able to take the panels off the front & re-configure the doors. You have options, just think outside the box.

Oldschooler
08/29/2004, 08:49 PM
Loyalty, have you thought about using an old power filter? We made one at the shop with a Hagen AquaClear filter and a Coralife mini compact light. Works great. Promise.

~Roberto

loyalty
08/29/2004, 09:20 PM
I bet it would, how'd you do yours? just add some baffles?

Oldschooler
08/29/2004, 09:48 PM
Actually, -and I don't know how familiar you are with the AquaClear power filters- all we did was NOT use any filtering media in the "basket" that sits in the relatively large filter media basin. A large rectangle was melted, dremeled, chewed through the plastic lid to the filter, but we were careful to make it slightly smaller than the diameter of the Coralife fixture. We placed little square, rubber "feet" (that are included, but seldom used with, reptile heating pads for terrariums) on the bottom corners of the lightstrip, so as to prevent slippage.

Sean added a little liverock, alga, etc. and !Voila! We have a small but functioning refugium. I imagine a similar 'fuge could have been built with different materials for even less. If you are in the store, it is on the display tank on the counter (the 30 gal).

Just an idea!

gflat65
08/30/2004, 12:45 AM
I may need to check that out. One of the things I still owe you guys for (please call Bruno off) is an Aqua Clear 175. I have been having problems with finding a sump that will actually fit under the 125. I had a 29 that would have been great, and worked on physical dimensions, but was too long to slide between the doors with the bracing at 17" clear. I haven't sketched it out, but I was hoping that a 24" L tank (<15"W x <16" tall) would fit. If I can convert the Aqua Clear with maybe an extra Magnum 350 or something (if I am imagining this correctly), that would give me a fuge. The only thing that will actually fit under my 55 for a fuge is a 10g (had a little over 10" clear width under the stand). Setting the thing up isn't as hard as finding something that actually fits. I have been meaning to come in to visit (and postpone Bruno's visit) for weeks. I WILL make it in when I get back in town next weekend sometime. I know a fuge doesn't need a whole lot of size to be effective, but would some sort of retro fit like that be enough for a 125?

Oldschooler
08/30/2004, 08:11 AM
Ummm... Gary, I think you're thinking of "Aqua Clear", the company, and not Hagen's "AquaClear", the BRAND. I'm talking about a VERY small refugium made out of a power filter. You know- the little "hang on the back" filters EVERYBODY uses for their fresh/salt fish tanks? Sorry for the confusion!

~Roberto

P.S: "Guido" says he's offended- he wants to know who "Bruno" is! LOL

loyalty
09/03/2004, 02:12 PM
I lucked out and scored an Aquafuge off ebay today
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4321288897&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:MT:6

can't wait to get it up and running