PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Dremmel

Red Sea Purple Tang
08/23/2004, 04:09 PM
As some of you know, I tried to cut PVC using PVC cutters on a piece of pipe that was glued to a bulkhead on the fuge. I got to hear the sound that every reefer dreads.....breaking glass.

So I went out and bought a Dremmel. Works like a charm!

If anyone needs one for a project, let me know, you can borrow mine. How I lived this long without one, I have no idea.

But hey, got a new 20L for the fuge! :rollface:

Ehydo
08/23/2004, 04:55 PM
I have had one for years and do not realize how much time it has actually saved but I know it is great.

John Kelly
08/24/2004, 10:23 PM
Dremmels are cool. I used one to drill out the back of my 75g for the bulkheads (for 1" pvc). I used the 7 or 8 dollar diamond tip grinder bit. It took one bit per hole and about 2 hours per hole. It didn't cut the glass, it just slowly grinded it away. I did it with the tank 3/4 full and had no fear of cracking the glass because it goes so slow. If it was real thin glass, then it might be scary.
I also used it to help make about 12 different prototypes of skimmers.
I also used it to make my drain screen cup thing. I took a 29 or 39 cent acrylic cup from wal-mart and cut it in half, then dremmeled some long thin holes in it, then siliconed it to the glass around my drain bulkhead.........you guys who have seen my tank should know what I'm talking about.
I also used it to shorten the shifter in my Porsche :D
I used it to grind some holes in a piece of pottery that I made.
I used it to polish some of my collector knives that I sold on Ebay.
I used it to cut some hollow aluminum tubing when I tried to make my own heat sink for my computer processor.
I was going to use it to grind one of my teeth out, but I ended up using some needle nosed pliers instead :lol:

Red Sea Purple Tang
08/25/2004, 07:55 AM
:spin2: Whoa.

Ehydo
08/25/2004, 09:06 AM
I have drilled through a few bottles and other glass with mine but do not think I will try the tank any time soon. I did use it to cut out an exhaust flange for a Dirt Bike and cut a oil pressure sensor out of my engine.

I like your Style ReefArtist. I would not attempt the tank with water in it. I would be afraid of a bath with an electrical device in my hand. Do you have a picture of the bit you used?